cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find the actuation count on my 50D

Leasw2
Apprentice

I have tried two different sites to get the actuation count on my 50D with no success.  Both were from posts 2014 or prior.  I was just wondering if my Windows 10 upgrade might be causing a problem.  Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

When my refurbished 7D Mk II was delivered I wondered what the shutter count was. I purchased a program called ShutterCount from DireStudio for $4. It worked fine using Windows 7 on the 7D Mk II and I found the shutter count on my refurbished camera was 324. According to the DireStudio website it should work on the 50D also.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

When my refurbished 7D Mk II was delivered I wondered what the shutter count was. I purchased a program called ShutterCount from DireStudio for $4. It worked fine using Windows 7 on the 7D Mk II and I found the shutter count on my refurbished camera was 324. According to the DireStudio website it should work on the 50D also.

Thank you.  I will try that one.  I have done this in the past with older models and gotten along fine.  Since it wouldn't work this time, I was afraid that it might have to do with Window 10 changes. 

Thank you, the DireStudio shutter count worked.  I had to update some drivers but it did work.  Thanks for your help. 🙂

"... the DireStudio shutter count worked."

No, you mean it gave you a number.  Whether it is accurate or not is suspect.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

True but if it is within a few thousand, it will help me make a few decisions. 

Dire Studio documents that their shutter count utility gives the count of "still" photos taken by the camera but does not include video (which makes sense).  

It does not use image EXIF data nor does it uses file numbering, etc.  It is accurate and only counts upward (if someone resets a camera the count is not reset to zero.)

I'm not sure what Canon uses in their own count.

Mostly what photographers care about is the number of times the shutter had to open & close mechanically and in video mode it really opens once to expose the sensor and recording of video frames doesn't cause any mechanical movement of the shutter (the camera uses an electronic shutter in that mode instead of the mechanical focal plane shutter.)

I don't recall Canon documenting the method to retreive shutter count in the Canon EOS SDK (I checked it once upon a time and didn't see it.). But it is normal for products to have undocumented API's and it also explains why these utilities don't necessary work on every camera (because internal API's can change from product to product and without notice.)

It does surprise me just a little that Canon doesn't have a menu feature or feature in EOS Utility to display the count without needing to send the camera in.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

Dire Studio documents that their shutter count utility gives the count of "still" photos taken by the camera but does not include video (which makes sense).  

It does not use image EXIF data nor does it uses file numbering, etc.  It is accurate and only counts upward (if someone resets a camera the count is not reset to zero.)

I'm not sure what Canon uses in their own count.

Mostly what photographers care about is the number of times the shutter had to open & close mechanically and in video mode it really opens once to expose the sensor and recording of video frames doesn't cause any mechanical movement of the shutter (the camera uses an electronic shutter in that mode instead of the mechanical focal plane shutter.)

I don't recall Canon documenting the method to retreive shutter count in the Canon EOS SDK (I checked it once upon a time and didn't see it.). But it is normal for products to have undocumented API's and it also explains why these utilities don't necessary work on every camera (because internal API's can change from product to product and without notice.)

It does surprise me just a little that Canon doesn't have a menu feature or feature in EOS Utility to display the count without needing to send the camera in.

I don't know if Canon keeps track of shutter actuations which would start over when a new shutter is installed, total actuations on the body, or both. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Whether any of the commercial actuation readers, or web based, give an accurate count or not is questionable.  The only and I mean only place to get the true correct actual count is from Canon.

The number Mr. Martin got is just a number.  It may be right or not.  He can't challenge it unless he sends the camera to Canon.  I use CPS all the time and ask for shutter count each time I send a camera in.  Just for curiosity, I don't really care.  I have then taken that same camera to a web site that boasts shutter count and the number is different.  No actuation's in between!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Whether any of the commercial actuation readers, or web based, give an accurate count or not is questionable.  The only and I mean only place to get the true correct actual count is from Canon.

The number Mr. Martin got is just a number.  It may be right or not.  He can't challenge it unless he sends the camera to Canon.  I use CPS all the time and ask for shutter count each time I send a camera in.  Just for curiosity, I don't really care.  I have then taken that same camera to a web site that boasts shutter count and the number is different.  No actuation's in between!

I'm at work and can't look it up, but IIRC CPS provides the shutter count automatically whenever they have a camera in for cleaning and inspection.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements