Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor

How to find out actuation count for 5Ds?

Not sure if this is a Canon thing or not. I switched from Nikon to Canon last year. To my surprised, I am not able to find a way to tell me how many actuations my camera has. I actually called Canon Tech Support and they told me not with the 5Ds. Can this be true?

Thanks,

LV

Reputable Contributor

Re: How to find out actuation count for 5Ds?

You have PM.
---------------------------------------------------------
My Swedish blog

M5, 7D, 6D, D30, 300D, 1000D IR, EOS DCS 3c, EOS D2000, 16-35/4L IS, 100/2,8 Macro, 70-200/2,8L IS II, 24-105/4L, 85/1,8, 50/1,4, 24/1,4L II, 300/2,8L IS, Helios 58/2

Darktable, RawTherapee, Photomatix, Luminance HDR, GIMP 2.9.9.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to find out actuation count for 5Ds?

The camera does internally count the shutter count... it just doesn't display it.  I think some Nikon cameras even add the shutter count to the image meta-data.  Canon doesn't do that.

The "official" answer to your question is that if you ever send the camera in to Canon service (e.g. mail it in to CPS for a cleaning, etc.) you can ask them to check the shutter count and they'll tell you what it is.  But no Canon-provided consumer software displays this info.

I use a utility by Dire Studio called "Shutter Count" that runs on my mac and it displays the shutter count for most Canon bodies.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da