cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert RAW files to JPEG?

rkulkarni
Apprentice

I have a bunch of raw files and I am not sure how to convert them to JPEG.  I sure would appreciate some help with this.  Thank you

43 REPLIES 43

JoeN
Contributor
When you bought your camera you should have received a disc with Digital Photo Professiona, DPP, on it. Install DPP on your computer and then open the program. You should see a list of all your files on the left side of the window. Select a raw file and click on it. Now, click on FILE and you should get a drop down window. Scroll down and click on CONVERT AND SAVE. A new window should open and in the box labeled FILE NAME you should see the name of the file you selected. Below that you should see SAVE AS TYPE and in that box you should see Exif-JPEG. Click on the save button to the right and DPP will convert the file to JPEG and save it along side the raw file.

I would suggest that you use DPP for a while for basic editing and file conversion before you purchase any photo editing software. It is a good program and will do most of what you need to do at least while you are learning. Like many others I use Lightroom but I used DPP for a long time before I felt I needed something more powerful.

The instructions I gave are for a Windows computer. I am not sure how much difference there will be if you're using a Mac.
Joe

i ave installed the software dpp but convert and save option is not getting highlighted. pleaseadvice. i cannot open the raw files.

@vivekkpuri wrote:

i ave installed the software dpp but convert and save option is not getting highlighted. pleaseadvice. i cannot open the raw files.

You should be able to see numerous icons, one for each of your image files.  Click on one to highlight it.  Now try it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi recently bought the G9X , didn't come with software disc and I'm shooting RAW. Been on Canon website and entered serial number of the camera to download the conversion software, when it's download and I try to open it the computer says there is no programming to support it.  Any ideas please ? Regards Smiffy.

You d/l DPP4?  It should work if you got the correct one for your OS.  Are you Mac or Windoze?  Mac seems to have this problem form time to time.  Make sure you got the correct version for your OS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BTW, I don't think any of the newer cameras come with a disk any longer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ChristopherAdam
Apprentice

How about fist exporting your raw files out from the camera, and loading and embedding raw files into a image converting tool that supports to convert and render raw files into jpeg image or any other raster image file?

[Mod note - Removed link per FORUM GUIDELINES]

vivekkpuri
Contributor
The problem is the image is not showing. I can select it but cannot open it. I also tried Lightroom but it does it support raw

@vivekkpuri wrote:
The problem is the image is not showing. I can select it but cannot open it. I also tried Lightroom but it does it support raw

Sorry, but Lightroom does support RAW.  In fact, LR supports more RAW formats than Canon DPP.  Obviously, you do not know what you are doing, nor what you are talking about.  No offense, intended.  Those are just the facts. 

Your descriptions of your issues speaks volumes about your lack of understanding.  When you use the EOS utility to import files from the camera into the computer, DPP will automatically open the files.

However, there are online resources that can help you.  First, what camera are you using, and what Operating System is your computer running?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

vivekkpuri
Contributor
Canon 1ds. OS Windows 7.
Announcements