cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i check shutter count on 5d mk3

bajatony1
Apprentice

How do i check shutter count on 5d mk3. Someone said it was available on the utilities disc, but i can't find it.

Cheers

Tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Sent you a PM.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

112 REPLIES 112

Will you also PM me the solution?

Hi,

I am new to Cameras and looking forward to buy my first one. Its a 2nd hand Canon 5d Mark III. Dont't know how to check the shutter count. Can't send it to Canon with out purchasing it. Is there any way to check the shutter count myself during inspection for purchase. Please message me. Thank You.

@musman wrote:

Hi,

I am new to Cameras and looking forward to buy my first one. Its a 2nd hand Canon 5d Mark III. Dont't know how to check the shutter count. Can't send it to Canon with out purchasing it. Is there any way to check the shutter count myself during inspection for purchase. Please message me. Thank You.

You can't send it to Canon, but the person trying to sell it to you can. If it means that much to you, limit yourself to sellers who can document the shutter count with a certification from Canon. There are programs that claim to be able to read the shutter count, but Canon does not stand behind them.

In any case, a high shutter count is only one of quite a number of problems that can exist in a used camera. Since you're new to cameras and therefore probably don't know what to look for, buying just any used camera, even one with a provably low shutter count, is a dangerous gamble. My suggestion would be that if you're going to spend important money on a used camera, it should be a certified refurb from Canon's online store. Such cameras come with a one-year guarantee that helps protect the buyer from failures due to unsuspected problems.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your time and detail reply. I currently can't effort to buy even a refurbish piece. Came across a 5d Mark III in a good condition and want to check its shutter count. Looking for how it can be done.

Regards,

Do you mind revealing the price?  A new shutter is only around $300 bucks (or they were).  It is not a catastrophe to have a new one put in.  And you may never need a replacement shutter.  I have a friend in the business as long as I am.  He never buys new.  He always buys used and ugly.  He looks for cameras with 150,000+ clicks on them.  Yes, he has replaced shutters.  But he has spent one tenth as much as me on cameras!

If the price is right and the camera looks good and it works as it should buy it an don't look back.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Shutter count is around 500 and price is 2100 AUD.

A shutter count of 500 is basically brand new. I fire off that many shots at my grnadson's soccer game. I don't know anything about Australian prices, but based on an earlier post you implied that this is much less expensive than a refurb price.

What is the back story? Why is it for sale?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi,

The price of new one is around AUD 3100 here (plus minus AUD 100). The seller is switching to Mirrorless. Camera was purchased in Mid 2014. 

"Camera was purchased in Mid 2014."

Two years old and he shot only 500 clicks?  Sounds fishy to me.

"The seller is switching to Mirrorless."

But if this is true, he is an idiot!  Going from a 5D Mk III to mirrorless, right, good idea. Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@musman wrote:

Hi,

The price of new one is around AUD 3100 here (plus minus AUD 100). The seller is switching to Mirrorless. Camera was purchased in Mid 2014. 

Sounds like someone is probably switching their camera brand to me.  Brand S, maybe?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements