cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I engage the movie mode on a digital camera?

AdrianF
Apprentice

I would like to REMOTELY engage the Movie Mode on a 5D Mark II. Can it be done via the RF sensor? I know that a cable shutter release cannot start movie recording. Can a movie recording be started with a remotely engaging device?

Thanks,

Adrian

3 REPLIES 3

Mykolas
Authority

Hi AdrianF,

You can use the Remote Controller RC-1 or RC-5 to start and stop movie recording.  With the RC-1, to start and stop movie shooting, the switch on the remote must be set to the 2-sec timer delay when you press the transmit button.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Skirball
Authority

What are you doing that you'd like to remotely start and stop movie recording?

HDCamTeam
Enthusiast

@AdrianF wrote:

I would like to REMOTELY engage the Movie Mode on a 5D Mark II. Can it be done via the RF sensor? I know that a cable shutter release cannot start movie recording. Can a movie recording be started with a remotely engaging device?

Thanks,

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

- You can use infrared RC, as Mike told you above, to start /stop video recording. But in such cases you MUST turn on Live View manually previously to be able to record video.

- You can use other options like Okii FC1 USB or Okii MC1 USB controllers.

Both allow you to control your camera remotely via USB (up to about 20 meters via normal extension cables) with the advantage that you CAN turn on and off Live View remotely too, plus many additional features like changing shutter speed, aperture, ISO and even focus (with Okii FC1 and Canon AF lenses).

We have tested and used these controllers for quite long time and they work excellent, especially if you mount your camera in a place difficult to reach, like a jib or crane, etc.

They are also very useful for shooting video with the camera mounted on a Rig: the MC1 was specifically designed for that purpose, you can attach it to your handle and control your camera's basic functions from there. Very handy.

You can find these controllers at many places:

- Okii Systems - manufacurer site: www.okii.net

- Zacuto Store (official distributor): http://store.zacuto.com

- B&H Photo & Video: Okii MC1 USB controller / Okii FC1 USB Controller

Hope this helps!

Regards

HD Cam Team
Group of photographers and filmmakers using Canon cameras for serious purposes.
www.hdcamteam.com | www.twitter.com/HDCamTeam | www.facebook.com/HDCamTeam
Announcements