cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High ISO Noise Setting on 6D

Brad12d3
Apprentice

Just got a 6D as a companion to my BMCC for when I need low light shots and wider shots. It's been a little while since I had my 5D MKIII and I am trying to remember how I had my camera set up for video. Right now I am trying to figure out if I need to have High ISO Noise Reduction set to off or another setting. I have heard from photographers that it can cause you to lose some detail, and it's best to address the noise in post. Since I will be shooting at higher ISOs I am wondering how I should set it. For those who shoot a lot of video, what has been your experience in different situations? 

Also, what do you guys think about the current picture styles? I have heard a lot about Technicolor. People praise it a lot but I also hear that it has some noise problems. Would love to hear some opinons on current picture profiles.

4 REPLIES 4

Skirball
Authority

I don't shoot video, so I can't help there.

I don't use HINR, as I shoot RAW and use lightroom, so it doesn't do anything anyway.  Regardless, I like to control as much as I can in post, so I wouldn't use it anyway.  The only in camera noise reduction I use is the long exposure NR, and even then, only selectively.

If I shoot RAW images, does long exposure noise reduction have any effect? I was under the impression that RAW means no in camera processing. If that is not true, then what settings have an effect on RAW images?

See below for text from the 6D manual . This paragraph sounds like HINR is added to the metadata of a RAW file and not directly applied. It also could mean that LightRoom and Adobe RAW don't use this metadata? Does anyone know if this guess is correct?

EOS 6D Manual:
If you play back a RAW image with the camera or print an image directly, the effect of high ISO speed noise reduction may look minimal. Check the noise reduction effect or print noise-reduced images with Digital Professional (provided software).

Yes, third party software most of the time cannot read any in camera processing with the exception of Long exposure noise reduction.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
Announcements