cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with factory reset of EOS 20D DS126061

kgill
Apprentice

All of the settings on our DSLR (apperture, shutter speed, etc.) got all messed up and I'm wondering if there's any way to reset the entire thing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kgill
Apprentice

Taking out both batteries worked. Got some of the settings reset, but some are due to other things wrong with the camera. I'm gonna need to take it into a shop somewhere to get it all fixed up. Thanks all for the help!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Check your "wrench" menus, there is a reset camera option there.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Take the batteries out for about 30 min. There are two and both must be removed for an extended time period.  It will reset back to factory defaults.  If you have to re-enter the correct date and time, the camera did reset itself.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Take the batteries out for about 30 min. There are two and both must be removed for an extended time period.  It will reset back to factory defaults.  If you have to re-enter the correct date and time, the camera did reset itself.

I don't quite follow that. I've always been led to believe that the reason for leaving the (main) battery out for an extended period is to force a discharge of the built-in date/time battery. Now I've never seen a 20D, but I did have occasion to work on a 10D the other day. And if the 20D is like the 10D (as your instruction above suggests), its date/time battery is removable. So shouldn't removing both batteries kill the settings immediately, obviating the need for the extended time period?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I don't quite follow that. I've always been led to believe that the reason for leaving the (main) battery out for an extended period is to force a discharge of the built-in date/time battery. Now I've never seen a 20D, but I did have occasion to work on a 10D the other day. And if the 20D is like the 10D (as your instruction above suggests), its date/time battery is removable. So shouldn't removing both batteries kill the settings immediately, obviating the need for the extended time period?

It's possible that there is circuit to temporarilry maintain a charge on the clock, and other essential circuitry, so that you can change out the battery without resetting the device.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Bob from Boston,

"...  obviating the need for the extended time period?"

No it doesn't but it probably doesn't take a full 30 minutes either.  That is simply a safe number to make sure all the capacitors are drained.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kgill
Apprentice

Taking out both batteries worked. Got some of the settings reset, but some are due to other things wrong with the camera. I'm gonna need to take it into a shop somewhere to get it all fixed up. Thanks all for the help!

Announcements