Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Help with camera connection

Hello all!  I need help with the set-up of my new 80d.  Specifically with tethering via USB to my computer.  I downloaded recommended software for my W10 (64bit)- then attempt to connect my camera.  When doing so via usb either a- nothing will happen or b- the camera will display error 70.  Of note, the camera will connect via WiFi, however I'm attempting to use this for videoing/streaming etc and it creates a large discrepency with the wifi delay and my audio.  

I did disable the wifi when attempting to connect with USB.  I would appreciate any and all help ya'll could provide me with.  Also- I have used this cable for another camera previously therefore should have the appropriate data transport cables internally.  

Thanks again!

Valued Contributor

Re: Help with camera connection

Sounds like you are trying to use "Live View"?  For everyone's benefit..  What "recommended" software did you download?  Is this the latest version?

EOS 3.7.0?

General recommendations / questions:

-The cable you use does matter, try testing with a different cable

-Do not use a hub (powered or unpowered)

-Connect to USB 2.0 port on the PC (the camera's bus is 2.0)

-Try turning windows firewall off, then connect and power on the camera

-Are you uisng AV software besides Windows Defender? If so, disable temporarily

-What kind of SD card are you using (brand / model)? Full size or micro w/ adaper?

-Have you tried on another PC?

Post your answers and results.  We are happy to try and help.

Bay Area - CA
~6D2 (f/w 1.0.3) ~16-35mm f2.8L II, 50 f1.8 STM, 85 prime, 70-200 f2.8L IS II ~Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Art
~Speedlite 430 EX II ~DPP 4.8.20 ~Windows10 Pro nVidia GPU 1709 ~Nexus6P Oreo 8.1 ~Samsung s9+ Oreo 8.0

Re: Help with camera connection

I am not a video guy but I have friends and a niece that are.  I will give you my thoughts about it.  First a DSLR like the 80D is not a video camera.  It isn't designed for web streaming and the such.  If I am understanding you correctly, expect it to overheat relatively quickly. You're better off with a regular video camera that is designed for video.

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.