Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted

Re: Having trouble with autofocus on 7D mark II

Hello!

We just tested the Quick Reply, and it seems to be working for us! Please try another browser and let us now if you have trouble again!
Occasional Contributor

In this case there is a small statue on the wall where I focused before the shot and the focus was on the side of the wall at the endtest2_focus.jpgwrong_focus2.jpg

Occasional Contributor

hummm this is interesting... tomorrow I will use Servo to test... I was like 2 or 2.5 meters of distance of the woman and 5 or 6 from the small statue
Occasional Contributor

Ow sorry... its working! It was a joke because of a detailed answer is never so quick.... sorry to distub in this case

Honored Contributor

asaugusto wrote:
hummm this is interesting... tomorrow I will use Servo to test... I was like 2 or 2.5 meters of distance of the woman and 5 or 6 from the small statue

Keep it simple.  The statue shot is still life, which is better for testing a camera and lens than a moving subject and Servo mode.  Use a tripod, if you have one available.  Remember, the camera needs light and contrasting lines at the AF point.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."

No problem! We just wanted to make sure it's all working as it should be so our contributors have an easy time posting. Thanks for letting us know!
Reputable Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for posting the examples...

I suspect it's as Wadizzle suggested, that the focus ended up on her elbow, instead of her face. (Are you entirely certain you don't accidentally have one of the Expansion or Zone focus patterns selected? Either of those could definitely explain this problem. I looked at the image EXIF data, but can't tell what focus pattern was set.)

Spot Focus might have worked better than Single Point, in this case. The AF point used in Spot Focus is much smaller than in Single Point.

This is a good example of very shallow depth of field. The 50mm lens at f/2.0 and, I'm guessing, about 6 foot working distance, will render roughly 4 inches deep sharp plane of focus. Anything closer than 5.84 feet or farther away than 6.17 feet will drop off dramatically in sharpness. Even slight focus errors will be very noticeable, with those settings and that lens at that distance.

The second shot, of the statue and wall, appears even closer, which would make for even shallower depth-of-field. It too might have been mis-focused because of the size of the AF point... or because the lens is not calibrated properly to the camera. Just be sure to read and follow the procedures carefully, if you decide to make Micro Focus Adjustments.

FYI: there are online depth-of-field calculators. I can't post a link here (forum won't allow it), but you can find them with a search. The one I used is called DOFMaster.

It may be that your lens needs Micro Focus calibration on that camera or that using Focus Assist (from either the onboard flash or an accessory flash) would have helped, as was suggested.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Honored Contributor

"FYI: there are online depth-of-field calculators. I can't post a link here (forum won't allow it), but you can find them with a search. The one I used is called DOFMaster.

It may be that your lens needs Micro Focus calibration on that camera or that using Focus Assist (from either the onboard flash or an accessory flash) would have helped, as was suggested."

I posted a link to the DOFMaster table in an earlier post.  It is a very useful and insightful link.  I use it frequently to select lenses, or to review what a given zoom can and cannot do.

I wondered about AFMA, too, but didn't mention it.  The posted shots do make it seem as if the camera body, or the lens, could be front focusing.  I think that possibility can be confirmed or denied by testing a different lens. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor