cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone had problems with the shutter speed on the Canon 70D?

Liola
Apprentice

I have previously been using a Canon 60D which has been brilliant! My husband bought me a 70D at Christmas as a surprise. However, I am having problems with the shutter speed. On automatic, all is fine but on Manual, Av, Tv etc I seem to be unable to alter the shutter speed from a really slow release. I want to know if the camera is faulty in some way or if there is something that I should be doing which I am not. Please can anyone advise/inform me of what I may be doing wrong or whether this is something I should take up with Canon?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

First off, you need to reset your 70D back to factory defaults. Check your manual for details on how to do this.

You can't trouble-shoot anything untill you are back to square zero. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Because your photos are fine in Auto modes, I suspect some user error here. 

When you say "really slow release" do you mean slow shutter speed like 1/10 or 1/15? Does the exposure look Okay at those shutter speeds? 

If they look Okay then the camera is just doing what it is supposed to be doing. You can use higher ISO settings to shorten the shutter speeds. 

If they are over exposed you may have accidentally dialed in some "plus" Exposure Compensation.  You can set up to -5 or +5 stops of compensation and that can really effect the overall exposure in a bad way if done by accident. 

_70D.jpg

Mike Sowsun

Hi Mike,

thank you for getting back to me, and replying to my question. I checked the exposure compensation settings as you suggested and all is ok there. I have tried various shutter speeds and ISO settings with no improvement. For some reason on all but Auto the shutter releases as if I am using something like a 10 second delay such as when you shoot something at night. I recently took some quite nice pictures of the Northerm Lights where I set the shutter speed at 10" with ISO between 800 and 1000 on my 60D in M mode. It is this sort of slow speed that is happening on every setting except AUTO for shutter speed with the 70D.

To be honest like you I thought that if it was fine in Auto it must be something I'm doing but it does n't seem to be the case. So I guess I'll have to check with Canon, although I may ask another more experienced Photographer to take a look first.

Once again , many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Kind regards,

Liola

Are you saying that the shutter trips 10 seconds after you press it?

Or does the shutter stay open for 10 seconds as soon as you press it? 

Also,  when you have this problem, do the photos look Okay? Are they properly exposed?  

Mike Sowsun

First off, you need to reset your 70D back to factory defaults. Check your manual for details on how to do this.

You can't trouble-shoot anything untill you are back to square zero. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi all,

just wanted to say, I took the camera back to factory settings and strated over from the beginning. All is ok now. Many, many thanks to you all for your suggestions, practical guidance, and for taking the time to help me. Your help is truly appreciated! 'Thank you' 🙂

Liola

I suspect that you may have the self timer mode switched on. Try changing it back by pressing Q, or the Drive button (second from right) next to the top LCD. Either that or go to menu and reset everything back to factory default.
================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements