cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP.. newbie

evertking
Contributor
Ok, i had my 6D up on the tripod when my little girl pushed it over and now the camera will not turn on. So, I have sent it to Canon, not under any warranty or anything. How much am I looking at here?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

evertking
Contributor
I was up all night worrying over this. I have a real

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"ALL my camera gear has its original packing..."

Yeah, I used to do that but soon learned that was not possible.  It is hard enough to store the gear without adding all the packaging.  I do keep the original packages on the stuff I know I am going to sell.  My "hobby."  I have a room in the house that is dedicated to photographic gear.  It is my old darkroom slash warehouse.

I used to tell folks you know I could have a pretty nice car for what that photo gear cost you.  However, I now upped the quote to say, "I could have a pretty nice house for what that photo gear cost."

Most of my non-essential gear was in storage in NZ while I was in Canada.  It was all packed up ready to ship to Canada with the intention of relocating.  We sold our house, bought a new place and I moved across.  Then we got hit by a tripple whammy - I got pneumonia, from which I got a pulmonary embolism that nearly killed me, and then my wife got cancer.  She was in NZ  and (unlike me) not a Canadian citizen, so it soon became clear that she could not emigrate.  So after a couple of years of shuttling back and forth we finally got our Canadian place sold and moved back to NZ.  In the meantime I had bought some gear in Canada.  For both storage and shipping it was very helpful to have the boxes and packing.  We are getting a new build which will give me a nice big sunny room all to myself, so I can store my gear with no problem! 

I might add that my wife is recovering well but it is a journey that will go on for some time.   There are things that still trigger a very emotional response in her, and it is my job to make sure she is supported to the best of my ability.  I might add that photography is my means of stress relief, and it is nice not to have commercial pressures - I can take photos that (to quote an old aquaintance) "make my eyes smile".  I enjoy visiting forums such as this and Cambridge in Colour to be part of a wider photographic community.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I sincerely wish all is well for both of you.  Photography is a wonderful hobby that brings so many rewards.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

evertking
Contributor
Well, maybe Monday I will find out something. Anything over $800 I may as well get another camera.

evertking
Contributor
Monday, hopefully... I will get an email with a decent price tag. Fingers crossed. It didn't roll down a mountain. Bounced off the couch and onto carpet. Anything over $800 I may as well put it toward an upgrade.

"Anything over $800 I may as well put it toward an upgrade."

A replacement shutter is no where $800 to replace.  If the shutter is the only damage.  But some folks tend to keep trying cameras even after they discover a big problem.  Case in point is when they take their camera for a swim.  Water and cameras is not a good thing.  The first thing they do is try it.  The worst thing you can do.

You didn't keep trying to use it did you?  Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements