cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP.. newbie

evertking
Contributor
Ok, i had my 6D up on the tripod when my little girl pushed it over and now the camera will not turn on. So, I have sent it to Canon, not under any warranty or anything. How much am I looking at here?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

evertking
Contributor
I was up all night worrying over this. I have a real

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

evertking
Contributor
Oouch.. i think in my searches for the cost of repairs, I seen others miss that tiny checkbox. I'm new to Photography but I have already invested a decent sum into lenses that honestly it's kinda of silly not to insure the stuff.

I have been at it for about 42 years (God I fell old when I say that...) and although I have had only one other mishap with my gear in that time, I have always had good coverage for my equipment.  Parkinson's Laws of Maximum Cussedness say that if you break something it will happen when the gear is somehow not covered...

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

I have been at it for about 42 years (God I fell old when I say that...) and although I have had only one other mishap with my gear in that time, I have always had good coverage for my equipment.  Parkinson's Laws of Maximum Cussedness say that if you break something it will happen when the gear is somehow not covered...

And when you need it for a shoot the next day.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have a great deal of equipment.  I don't even know how much I have invested in it.  And, I don't want to know !   It is in the many thousands for sure.  I used to buy insurance but I haven't for years. I considered loss or stolen or broken gear as just another business expense.  CPS Gold was always there for me.  The insurance got so expensive it was almost better to buy new.

I must say my Canon gear has been extremely reliable and I can assure you it got no special consideration from me.

I sincerely hope you camera comes out OK. I am sure it will.  If you use it, things like this is bound to happen.  Remember in the end it is just a camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I know what you mean ebiggs1 about having a lot of gear!  While I am retired now  - really that means I take photos for people without getting parid now - I have always had a database of all of my gear (including camera gear) with serial no's, purchase dates, receipts etc.  It has come in handy on two specific occasions. 

On the first we suffered a home invasion while only my stepdaughter was home and the pertertrators took a fair bit of stuff:  (luckily not camera gear). Having the information about all our goods made the insurance claim process much easier.  The trauma they caused was another thing...

On the second occasion I have just moved from Canada to NZ.  Customs, biosecurity, the shippers and their insurance wanted to know pretty much everything about everything.  The database was a life saver as I just downloaded that and passed it on.  As a result customs and biosecurity choose not to physically examine the container and that saved us some delay and hundreds of dollars in inspection fees.  Also by being able to prove when I bought my most recent cameras I was able to prove that I did not qualify to pay import charges to NZ.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

If you are a CPS Gold member Canon keeps track of all your Canon gear and the serial numbers.  When it was bought, too.

insurance companies like it when you give them a Canon report. 

Or, possibly they don't as it isn't disputable! Smiley Wink

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

If you are a CPS Gold member Canon keeps track of all your Canon gear and the serial numbers.  When it was bought, too.

insurance companies like it when you give them a Canon report. 

That's if you remember to tell CPS about it all. If, like you and I, you're well over the requirement level for Gold membership, they're not going to bother to ask.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

My enthusiasm for keeping track of stuff in a database (and keeping all original receipts) extends well beyond camera gear.  As a matter of course I keep the receipts and log them for pretty much everything I get- TVs, monitor, computers, kitchen appliances, furniture etc.  I have even kept the original packaging for most of my stuff, which actually made packing for shipping a lot easier, especially for the 60" TV! Smiley Very Happy

It has also been helpful if something has died and I need to claim on it' guarantee or warranty.

ALL my camera gear has its original packing...

cheers, TREVOR

I just queried my database for camera gear only.  Replacement cost is around $46k!  Best not share that with "she who must be obeyed" or I may have to sell something!!!! LOL Smiley LOL

cheers, TREVOR

"ALL my camera gear has its original packing..."

Yeah, I used to do that but soon learned that was not possible.  It is hard enough to store the gear without adding all the packaging.  I do keep the original packages on the stuff I know I am going to sell.  My "hobby."  I have a room in the house that is dedicated to photographic gear.  It is my old darkroom slash warehouse.

I used to tell folks you know I could have a pretty nice car for what that photo gear cost you.  However, I now upped the quote to say, "I could have a pretty nice house for what that photo gear cost."

EB
Announcements