Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

HDR with Canon 5D Mark IV

Just received a new Canon 5D Mk IV and am about half way through the manual.

I am a bit confused about using this camera to create HDR photos?

Please correct me if I am wrong!

From what I gather, there are at lease (2) methods of creating HDRs:

(1) Using the 5D IV's built-in HDR function

(2) Using AEB to create a series of individual exposures and merge them in a dedicated HDR program (like Aurora)

Assuming my understanding is correct, from what I am reading, the in-camera HDR only works with JPEGs (not RAW) while going the AEB route could create a series of larger RAW images to merge in say Aurora.

Is that correct?

Super Contributor

Re: HDR with Canon 5D Mark IV

You can still shoot raw but the final HDR image wil be Jpeg. You may choose to save the source + HDR images or just the HDR image.

Quoted from the Canon website :

"If the image-recording quality is set to RAW, the HDR image will be recorded in quality. If the image-recording quality is set to RAW+JPEG, the HDR image will be recorded in the JPEG quality set. "

New Contributor

Re: HDR with Canon 5D Mark IV

Thanks for the reply!

Your quote was the same one I read in the manual last night that triggered my post.

So, my guess is, if I DO want to build my own HDR composites in a program like Aurora HDR, then my best bet would be to ignore the in-camera HDR feature and just shoot a series in RAW using AEB set to 3, 5, or 7 exposures?