cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDR Sunset.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The 1st photo is under exposed. The 2nd one is normal and the 3rd one is over exposed. This increases the DR (dynamic range) of the digital sensor by several stops or EV's (exposure value). The last shot is the stacked image from Lightroom.

_DS32822.jpg_DS32823.jpg_DS32823-HDR.jpg_DS32822-HDR.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
22 REPLIES 22

That is a cool shot.

EB

HDR Sunrise.  Yes, the colors were this rich.  Three minutes before the sun broke the horizon.

IMG_7290-HDR.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You can't kid the kidder! 

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You can't kid the kidder! 

Not trying to.  Remember, I'm not the one who criticized the colors in your sunset shot.  I've tried to include EXIF data on a shot taken earlier than the HDR sequence just above.

IMG_7287-2.jpg

The only adjustments have been to exposure, contrast, whites, blacks, shadows, and highlights.  No color adjustments.

"No color adjustments."

Now I know you are smart enough to know any of the edits you made effected the color.  Otherwise you wouldn't have done it.

Some of my HDR images are heavily edited.  That is one purpose of HDR.  The DR is extended well beyond what is possible.

I have used HDR in photos that most of you don't even realize.  Maybe that is the best example of success.  When no one knows what was done!  Matter of fact some have passed by RTF without comment.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"No color adjustments."

Now I know you are smart enough to know any of the edits you made effected the color.  Otherwise you wouldn't have done it.  Some of my HDR images are heavily edited.  That is one purpose of HDR.  The DR is extended well beyond what is possible.

I have used HDR in photos that most of you don't even realize.  Maybe that is the best example of success.  When no one knows what was done!  Matter of fact some have passed by RTF without comment.

True, some of those settings can bring out color details, or even seem to change the saturation, particularly exposure.  But, the scene was an explosion of colors, which were quickly waning.  We have lots of air pollution around here, so we can get very colorful looking sunrises and sunsets, most especially when there is heavy cloud cover to "contain" it, so to speak..

IMG_7288-2.jpg

Here is a shot with no adjustments, and WB is set for Auto.  See that wonderful orange layer near the horizon.  Smog.

Typical out of the camera shot.  Next time try the HDR method.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Typical out of the camera shot.  Next time try the HDR method.

That last photo is one of the underexposed shots from the HDR sequence, -1 Ev.  Out of the camera HDR shots on a 6D mean shooting JPEGs, and it doesn't save the original images.  You cannot apply any special filtering, either, to achieve a certain look like you can with a 5D3.

Also, you don't have as much flexibility on setting exposures.  The 5 sequence shots were +1, 0, -1, -2, -3 Ev exposures.  I suppose that I would have to setup a 5 shot sequence, and -1 Ev compensation.  If I didn't want 1 Ev increments between out of all of the shots, I would be out of luck doing it in camera. 

Easy solution.  Start using Lightroom and Photoshop. There you can do or make any adjustments your heart desires.

If you have LR and/or PS learn 'how' to use them effectively.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Easy solution.  Start using Lightroom and Photoshop. There you can do or make any adjustments your heart desires.

If you have LR and/or PS learn 'how' to use them effectively.

Uh, since I am not doing HDR inside the 6D, how do you think I am producing them?  I'm using Lightroom.

Announcements