cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting horizontal color banding on photo files on EOS 1Ds Mark II

Ukieboy
Contributor

I recently turned over my EOS 1Ds Mark II to my youngest son, having replaced this with a 5D Mark III 4 years ago.  In taking some shots, he has noticed a horizontal color banding on landscape orientation shots, which I am at a loss to explain.  I purchased this old workhorse back in 2001 and submited it to Canon Repair in May 2006 for a totally different type of vertical banding, which I was told due to a defective CMOS controller problem.  This is the image my on sent to me:

XO9K5689.jpg   I have reduced it to 30% in Lightroom CC, as he sent it to me in a large format.

Any help is appreciated to propose some possibilities for the noise and how to proceed on solving the issue.

27 REPLIES 27

I have never used compressed air. I have always used a Giottos Rocket Bulb Blower. Always have been leary of propellant contamination and cold temps on the CMOS sensor.

Here is a link to my Google+ Cloud Drive file where the 1Ds Test shots are posted.  Let me know if you can access them.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2SRCTHBXp9OaDhFaklfdUk0RTQ?usp=sharing

There are 4 RAW and 4 Lg JPEG files ... 4 BLURRY and 4 in SHARP FOCUS ... 4 portrait and 4 landscape.

Remove the both batteries and turn on the camera without batteries to try to reset the camera. install the main battery again after a couple of hours and power up. Out of ideas after that. Time for a new camera I suppose.

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART157568&cat=9443A&actp=LIST

Had my son try this, to no avail. Both batteries removed and camera turned to the "on" position for over 2 hours. He even used the AC adapter to power up and took several shots ... all had the same color banding. 😞

Canon apparently stopped supporting this model in 2012. He is researching other large repair companies who may do a diagnostic on it. We appreciate all of the suggestions and will continue to post subsequent findings.

@Ukieboy wrote:
Had my son try this, to no avail. Both batteries removed and camera turned to the "on" position for over 2 hours. He even used the AC adapter to power up and took several shots ... all had the same color banding. 😞

Canon apparently stopped supporting this model in 2012. He is researching other large repair companies who may do a diagnostic on it. We appreciate all of the suggestions and will continue to post subsequent findings.

I hope I'm not being unreasonable, but I think that if you charge $8000 for a camera, you ought to support it for the lifetime of the purchaser.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert .... I happen to agree with you, wholeheartedly !! When I bought the camera, it was their flagship model and I would expect, as a loyal Canon user, I would merit more support than I've received. I must say, when I talked with their reps at CES every year, their positivity was never matched by their actions when I needed support. Not sure what the experience is with Nikon. Now the only option seems to be the after-market repair companies who actually may have the appropriate parts to effect a repair. I'd hate to think that we now own an $8,000 paperweight !!!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
A replacement camera in EX condition is available from KEH for $250-$350.

TTMartin ..... Mahalo for the reference. I contacted them this morning regarding a diagnostic exam of the camera. I will speak with the primary tech when he returns next week and have my son submit it for eval and possible repair.
Announcements