cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus problems with Canon 1D Mark III

AdorableU
Apprentice

I have been having problems with my 1D Mark III, it take an unusually long time to focus.  The problem is especially prevalent indoors.  I am using a Canon 24 to 70 IS lens. 

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

Have you had the camera for a while or is it a recent purchase? If you've had it for a while has this problem come up over a short period of time or suddenly. If you recently bought it it may simply be the way it works since most of the older bodies weren't considered that great in low light.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I have had the camera since it first came out, however I also aready had a Canon 20D at the time.  I seemed to do better with the 20D.  I recently bought a Canon 7D and it focuses much faster.  I am very displeased with the 1D Mark III. 

I am an experienced photographer, photography is a passion I have studied and pursued.  The 20D was my first DSLR, prior to that I shot with a Nikon 2020 film camera. 

The problem with the 1D Mark III is that it takes an unusually long time to autofocus.  Due to this, I usually relied on the 20D.  When I bought the 7D I retired the 20D and paired the new camera with he 1D for gigs (weddings, parties etc.).  It is frustrating to attempt shots with the camera and have subjects wait for me to shoot.

I rarely shoot in low light but now that we know the problem hopefully you'll get some help. (my first DSLR was also the 20D & my daughter still uses it).

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you for your response.

Sounds like a suscription to CPS is in order. (Canon Professional Services)

They will thourghly check it out and clean it.

BTW, my 1D Mk III is fantastic but it probably dos give up some bit of focusing speed to my 7D.

But photo by photo between the 7D and the 1D Mk III is not even close. The 1D wins that one.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

diverhank
Authority

Adorable U, 

There was a recall on the 1D Mk III on this issue back in 2008.  Canon offered to fix it free of charge.  Your camera might be among those recalled.  See this link.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_1d_mark...

Who knows they may still fix it for free for you.  It's worth a try.  Good luck

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements