cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash issues with me EOS

jerryll
Contributor

I set my camera on auto. Holding the camera still I take a picture.  Flash goes off. Picture is dark. Not like it did when I first bought it.

I do not move the camera, take an othe rpicture. Flash goes off again. Still dark.

Do it again till eventually the picture is how it is supposed ot be (not dark).

Now this seems to happen more and more. At first it would be 1 out of 10 times it turns dark. Now it is 9 out of 10 the picture is dark. When I mean dark, I mean you can barely see anything.

I did a ton of experimenting with .. everything and I can conclude the following.

It really looks as if the camera snaps the picture just right before (or after) the actual flash. That is really my only explenation. There is something wrong with the timing.

My camera now also takes really grainy pics, and yellow pics no matter what I do with lighting. I had a friend bring his nikon and that thing does amazing. Seriously amazing. Mine is absolutely horrid. I am not comparing canon vs nikon. What I am saying is that there is obviously something very wrong with my machine.

Any pointers?

16 REPLIES 16

Danny

Hi, jerryll!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which Canon camera you're using, along with which mode you're using and your exposure settings. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/Canon-Support or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 8 AM and midnight ET (5 AM to 9 PM PT) and Saturdays from 10 AM to 8 PM ET (7 AM to 5 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

HelloDanny,

Thank you very much for the note.

Indeed I wanted to put the model number down but oddly I am not sure now (I am not with my camera now) I thought I had the EOS 70D but the camera I have looks slightly different than the pics online. It looks idential except there is no momochrome disply on the top of the camera.

But when I get home I will check it out.

Also, I appologize, I had the camera for a year but never really dove into the settings. 

When I am experiening these issues I use the camera in Automatic mode.

But for all intends and purposes  I think I have the 70D

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Whenyou get back to the camera, set it on Auto Green Square, make sure the switch on the lens is set to AF and take it outside in good daylight and take a photo of a car/house/building. etc. Something with good contrast and vertical lines to focus on..

Let us know what happens. That should eliminate/confirm any overall camera problems - if it can't ake a good photo in those conditions we need to dig deeper.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Perfect. I will do this and report back 🙂

Thank you!

Actually, I know this works fine. I just took pics of the house this morning and the pics are fine. It is just with "poor" lighting. I say "poor", but in reality the lighting is pretty decent. Maybe I should say it happens only when "indoors"?

OK. Let us know the camera model when you get home.

Can you put the camera on P mode and take an indoor photo without flash?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

So I am home.

I would take a picture of the camera but I think I would receive a nobel prize if I manaed that one.

So I have a EOS 700D

I took a pic in P mode. Seems a bit yellowish..

I am missing a whole tab  of the settings menu. I should have 4 settings pages (wrench icon). The 4th one should allow you to put the camera back to defaut settings.

In the manual there are 4, on my camera I only have 3!

This is starting to really frustrate me.

Be sure you in P mode when accessing menu. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements