cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash issues with me EOS

jerryll
Contributor

I set my camera on auto. Holding the camera still I take a picture.  Flash goes off. Picture is dark. Not like it did when I first bought it.

I do not move the camera, take an othe rpicture. Flash goes off again. Still dark.

Do it again till eventually the picture is how it is supposed ot be (not dark).

Now this seems to happen more and more. At first it would be 1 out of 10 times it turns dark. Now it is 9 out of 10 the picture is dark. When I mean dark, I mean you can barely see anything.

I did a ton of experimenting with .. everything and I can conclude the following.

It really looks as if the camera snaps the picture just right before (or after) the actual flash. That is really my only explenation. There is something wrong with the timing.

My camera now also takes really grainy pics, and yellow pics no matter what I do with lighting. I had a friend bring his nikon and that thing does amazing. Seriously amazing. Mine is absolutely horrid. I am not comparing canon vs nikon. What I am saying is that there is obviously something very wrong with my machine.

Any pointers?

16 REPLIES 16

I found the 4th tab 😄

IMG_7037.JPGIMG_7038.JPG

I reset the camera to default settings.

Put it to P mode (flash flashed).

Took about 7 pics all dark... till finally one caught the flash. All 8 times flash went off. Seemed like  just the last one the camera snapped in sync with the flash 

I don't know. If it's dark flash will fire rapidly to assist focus, but it shouldn't be taking a photo. 

What at sometimes works is removing battery, switch camera on and let it sit overnight. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes it fires of a few flashes just to focus , then the main flash . But still dark.
I never hear of that trick. (removing battery and leaving it on). I suppose that drains the capacitors?
I am desperate so I will give that a try.

Drains all power and the internal backup battery that maintains time and settings when main battery is removed. It's charged by the main battery. Isn't removable. 

If that doesn't work I guess a service visit. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

OK. That's the European version of the T5i that I have. If indoor photo without flash is properly exposed but yellowish that isn't abnormal. Depending on lighting the auto white balance can't always correct coloration. 

If if you go to Auto flash will pop up and you should get less tinting. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements