cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F stop adjustment in 80d

Okosub
Apprentice
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and the eos line. Previously had the rebel xsi so the 80d is quite a step up and one that's a stretch.

The question as I learn the camera is about setting f stop and if the following is expected and if it is why can't I find a reference anywhere.

Press and hold the AE button (*) and turn the top dial while in M mode and the f stop adjusts. I find this personally more convenient than using the back dial to set f stop. Has anyone else done this and is it expected or am I using a function not meant for its purpose which for some reason yeilds favorable results?
8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Lucky accident. It *has* to work that way on most rebels since they don't have a QCD on the back.

thanks, so then if it "has" to why don't they talk about it or better yet not available on any single search I've attempted?  I even called them directly and went to BH Canon booth and they're all clueless.  Just find it odd that in my opinion is such a nice option

You didn't read my post. *Rebels* have to do it that way, since they do not have the QCD. Your 80D is not a Rebel. I think it is an unintended feature since the 80D has a QCD.

I guess I thought they all worked like this. My 6D does.

The QCD is easier and quicker but it will change aperture by using the AE lock and wheel method.

Okosub
Apprentice
Yup sorry I missed that first time around. Guess we learned something new 🙂

Are you listening, Canon?

Not only does page 196 of the February 2017 edition of the 80D Instruction Manual not mention that alternative way of setting the aperture; I believe that what it does say is erroneous. It implies that the "Lock" switch applies to the main dial as well as to the QCD, which I'm pretty sure is not true.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

not sure if this was in fact sarcasm but yes Canon listen anyway.

Bazwilkie
Apprentice

A year plus later, but better late than never.

I had same problem when I moved from 7D to 80Djust over a month ago, after reading this post I played around ending up at Tools 4 - Multi function lock, select Quick Control Dial, Hey-Presto job done, now able to alter aperture by QC-Dial, speed by Main Dial   

Barry 

Announcements