cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exposure Issue with 7D Mk II

djdoornink
Contributor

All 7D Mk II Owners,

I've got a new 7D Mk II and I've found an exposure shift between One Shot and AI Focus modes.
Here is an example of what I am seeing:
Camera is set to AV Mode, F4.0, ISO 800. I'm shooting the same consistently illuminated scene.
Shooting in One Shot mode the shutter speed is 1/400.
Shooting in AI Focus mode the shutter speed is 1/250.

It's almost a full stop difference. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Thanks,
DJD

10 REPLIES 10

@djdoornink wrote:

I did somemore testing today and determined that the effect is more noticable if the scene has high contrast. If the metering mode is Evaluative then AI Servo shutter mode is biased brighter to bring up the dark areas more than it does in One Shot shutter mode.

The effect only seems to rely on these two settings and is quite reproducable. I even reset all settng on the camera and the results were the same. 

It looks to me like the Evaluative metering mode works differently depending on if you are in One Shot or AI Servo.

I really would be interested if anyone else has seen this.

Thanks,

Doug

Evaluative metering is weighted to the active AF point. Where you using the same AF point in both cases?

edit: Also the iFCL metering in the classic 7D uses information from multiple autofocus points. It knows which AF points have achieved focus, and which ones have nearly achieved focus, and weights the exposure reading towards the zones those AF points are in on the basis they are likely to be covering the subject. I assume the 7D Mk II's RGB metering is similar.

Announcements