cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos M3 has started to turn off when trying to see photos

ajpittman
Apprentice

Hey everyone, I am new to photography and I am having problems with my Eos m3 that I can't seem to fix. I have been taking photos and it has been working fine until now. When I take a photo and try to view it, the screen on the camera goes black and the camera turns off. When I plug the camera into my laptop and try to connect it the camera also just turns off. But it only does this when I have the sd card in the camera. I have two other sd card and neither of them seem to be formatted for the camera as they won't save images and won't let me access all the images I have taken, but when I use them in the camera the camera still lets me select the option to see them without turning off. I would really appreciate any help that anyone can provide.Thanks in advance! 

13 REPLIES 13

Ray-uk
Whiz

Sounds very much like a battery problem, try cleaning the contacts both on the battery and in the camera, if that doesn't work try a new battery.

Your other SD cards need to be formatted in the camera itself to make them work. There is an option to do this in the menu, look under the spanner section.

From Ray-uk "There is an option to do this in the menu, look under the spanner section."

A very informative response by Ray and for us "Yanks" the spanner symbol is what we call a wrench here in the former colonies 🙂

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nscwrote:

From Ray-uk 

for us "Yanks" the spanner symbol is what we call a wrench here in the former colonies 🙂

Don't worry about it, one day you will get the hang of the English language, perhaps you may even learn to spell properly Smiley LOL

Well put Ray 🙂

I restore vintage amateur radio gear and there have been some interesting discussions with some friends in the UK resulting from the unshared terms in our shared language.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ajpittman
Apprentice

Hey guys thanks for your help. I have searched for the spanner/wrench symbol, I have noticed that there is an option to update the firmware. When I select that its states that "memory card containing firmware is required to update" ?? I have got three batteries and they all do the same thing so I don't think it would be that, also I have checked the sd card over and put it into my phone and it works fine, so I'm really not sure what to do. None of the sd cards I have work in the camera, but they all have different outcomes when I put them in..  With the one that was working, the camera now just turns off. With another one, when I take a picture and try to view it says " unidentified image". And with the third one, it won't let me take a picture as there is "insufficient space on the card" But Then says " No Images" when I try to see the pictures. 

Firmware updates are available from the Canon support site but I wouldn't worry about that yet because the existing firmware wouldn't cause your camera to suddenly quit working.

Take the card that says there is insufficient space on the card and format that card IN the camera as Ray suggested.  Depending upon the card size there are different default and required formats depending upon the device and the default formating applied by your computer (based upon its OS and version update) may not be the one required by your camera.  I went through this same issue with the high speed SD card required for the video/data recorder built into my Corvette and it wouldn't work until I selected the proper format (instead of the default) applied by my computer.

Rodger

You say that you tried a memory card in your phone, that suggests you may be using micro SD cards with an adaptor. This is not a good idea and can lead to problems, you should be using full sized SD cards.

Hey Ray. Oh yeah, I am using a micro SD card with an adapter. I wasn't aware of this being a problem.. I will buy a normal sd card and give that a try. Thanks

Ray. YOU ARE A SUPERSTAR. Ive swapped out the micro sd card for an sd card and all is working fine. Thanks man. Not all heroes wear capes 

Announcements