Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: EOS70d- Can you Help? Black viewfinder screen. No shutter actuation.. No takey pics...

ok. I will give the hdmi a try. that might explain the back screen and allow me to access menu....but any ideas why the shutter doesnt work? Weird that two major items would quit at the exact same time. hmmm......

Super Contributor

Re: EOS70d- Can you Help? Black viewfinder screen. No shutter actuation.. No takey pics...

I think the only way to diagnose the problem is to send the camera to Canon. If you decide not to repair due to cost, you may ask them to send it back.
Occasional Contributor

yea. im keeping that as a last resort option. not real confident tho....those repair costs are so high its almost best to just buy another body.
Esteemed Contributor

@ScottyPwrote:

You're going to have to hypnotize your sister so she can remember what switch she flipped when you handed her the camera. 

My guess is that it was the "On" switch that did it. The 70D is known to have a component on its circuit board that is to prone to failure when the camera overheats. Such failures commonly manifest themselves the next time power is applied, because suddenly applying power is one of the most stressful actions that an electronic component has to endure. If the component was weakened by overheating, it's likely to fail the next time the camera is turned on.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the chime in, but i hadnt turned it off when i handed it to her. Does that problem totally kill the camera? I can still see the settings on the top lcd.... just the rest of the camera is paralyzed.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

You sure the camera is not in video mode ?