cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 3.7.0 on iMac running Sierra does not recognise my 6D.

WootyMaurits
Apprentice
Hi,

I have a problem which I do not seem to find a sollution for.
I’ve got three computers running EOS Utility 3.7.0 but only two of them seem to recognise my 6D.
The computer I do not get to work with the 6D, is a late 2009 iMac 27". This computer is bought only to do remote shooting in my photo studio, so using one of the other computers for this is not a sollution.

What I tried so far:
  • MacBook Pro running El Capitan and EOS Utility 3.7.0: connecting the 6D and EOS Utility opens automatically and I can start remote shooting.
  • Mac Pro running Sierra 10.12.6 and EOS Utility 3.7.0: connecting the 6D and EOS Utility opens automatically and I can start remote shooting.
  • iMac running Sierra 10.12.6 and EOS Utility 3.7.0: connecting the 6D and EOS Utility opens automatically but the complete menu is greyed out!
What can be ruled out:
  • I use the same usb cable on the three computers, so the cable shouldn’t be the problem.
  • The 6D works perfect on the other two computers, so the 6D or it’s firmware (which is the latest) shouldn’t be the problem either.
  • In ‘System Report’ on the iMac I see under USB > USB 2.0 Bus > Canon Digital Camera, so the connection should also not be the problem.
  • The same version of Sierra 10.12.6 runs on the iMac and Mac Pro, so the operating system should also not be the problem.
  • EOS Utility 3.7.0 runs on the three computers, so that should also not be the problem.
But for crying out loud, what else is there left?!

I also installed software called Helicon Remote, to test if that would work, but this says ‘Camera is not connected’.
So the issue should be with the iMac itself somehow…
Any suggestions on how to solve this are more than welcome!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thx Tim!

WiFi is indeed disabled, hence the camera works with the two other computers.

Very good tip of yours to check Image Capture! 
The settings were set as yours, so that couldn’t be the problem, but I noticed that the camera showed up as 'Digital Camera’, while on the other computers it showed up as 'Canon 6D'. And at one point it just disappeared… When replugging the usb cable a few times I noticed that at one point it DID show up as Canon 6D, and afterwards as Digital Camera again. Which made me assume it must have to do with the cable after all.
So today I bought a new usb cable to test this (a 1 meter cable instead of the 5 meter I was using) and it works perfect now!

Usb is supposed to work up till 5 meters and it does just fine on the MacBook and Mac Pro, but somehow it seems the iMac can’t handle it… 
Tomorrow I will buy a 4 meter cable in the hope that will work, as I need that length for remote shooting. 

So it seems that my problem is solved!
Thx for your feedback, it for sure helped me to find the solution. 🙂 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You didn't enable WiFi did you?  The camera can connect via WiFi mode or via USB -- but not both.  Enabling WiFi will disable USB.

You also want to make sure no other software has taken control of the camera.  (e.g. if the Apple "Photos" app starts and wants to read the camera, etc.)

You can start the macOS "Image Capture" utility, connect the camera, then check the lower left corrner (only visible if a camera is connected) and it will let you configure what software should be started automatically when that camera is attached to the computer.  I typically set mine to "No Application" because I use several different programs and I want to be able to pick which one I want as needed rather than have something auto-start when the camera connects.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thx Tim!

WiFi is indeed disabled, hence the camera works with the two other computers.

Very good tip of yours to check Image Capture! 
The settings were set as yours, so that couldn’t be the problem, but I noticed that the camera showed up as 'Digital Camera’, while on the other computers it showed up as 'Canon 6D'. And at one point it just disappeared… When replugging the usb cable a few times I noticed that at one point it DID show up as Canon 6D, and afterwards as Digital Camera again. Which made me assume it must have to do with the cable after all.
So today I bought a new usb cable to test this (a 1 meter cable instead of the 5 meter I was using) and it works perfect now!

Usb is supposed to work up till 5 meters and it does just fine on the MacBook and Mac Pro, but somehow it seems the iMac can’t handle it… 
Tomorrow I will buy a 4 meter cable in the hope that will work, as I need that length for remote shooting. 

So it seems that my problem is solved!
Thx for your feedback, it for sure helped me to find the solution. 🙂 

Announcements