cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS-M5 & L Series lenses, plus more.....

TheRogue
Enthusiast

Hello from the UK

I’ve been a lifelong user of Canon cameras. From the original 35mm EOS cameras and all the way through the transition to digital. It would take an age to list what I have owned and used over 30 odd years. So I will refrain from doing that.

The point of my post and indeed joining the forum. I am looking seriously at the EOS M5, not least because of it being able to use the EF lens range.

My questions are, will the (EF) lenses lose any functionality in being attached to the M5?  AND not least, is the camera capable of utilising the exceptional quality of the L lenses? Obviously the sensor in the M5 is smaller. I’m just toying with with that camera and L lenses. Or wether to stick with the M series lenses and wondered if anyone (more knowledgable than me) had any thoughts?

Thanks guys.
Steve aka The Rogue.

70 REPLIES 70

@slclick wrote:
If you are looking for an M5 to be your workhorse, you might want to have a very limited and small amount of work coming up. Look, the term 'workhorse' has been thrown around a bit in this thread and I have no idea why some would espouse an entry level body would be specified for such use. I use an M5 along side the 5 series bodies for a compact travel camera. 90% of it's use is with native glass and once in a blue moon I put some L lenses on, primarily the 100L macro because I'm using the 5-10x magnification on a tripod with peaking. The M5 has exceeded my expectations, especially after trying out the Oly Pen F system for a year for travel and being very disappointed in the noise levels above 3200 and the convoluted menu systems. You have to be realistic about the capabilities and limitations for anything. It's a fine camera, not a do it all and certainly not something for specialty uses but very good all around.

This was already a pretty confusing thread a year ago. If your point in resurrecting it is to throw more light on the utility of the M-5, good luck with that.

If, OTOH, it's just your way of introducing yourself by demonstrating how much you know about cameras, we'll "take it under advisement", as the saying goes. (Hint: Your second sentence needs some work.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

So my original reply to you got deleted. I guess you have a lot of pull here, yet that's no replacement for a lack of tact.

@slclick wrote:

So my original reply to you got deleted. I guess you have a lot of pull here, yet that's no replacement for a lack of tact.

No, I don't have any pull here, and I don't care what you say about me. I had nothing to do with deleting your reply, which I never even saw. In any case, I had no desire to offend you. I was just answering in what I took to be the spirit of your original post.

BTW, since you brought it up: You may want to get your "L" lenses out, because there is a blue moon next week - with a total lunar eclipse!

Bob

For what it's worth, we remove replies that don't conform with the FORUM GUIDELINES.

slclick's post was a direct attack on another user, and that's a violation, and used profane language. Continued violations will result in a permenant ban from the forum.

"No, I don't have any pull here,..."

I'm the one with all the 'pull' here.  Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1 wrote:

"No, I don't have any pull here,..."

I'm the one with all the 'pull' here.  Smiley Wink

I'll bet it was you who arranged for the eclipse!  Smiley Happy

Bob

Super, blood and blue al in one.  I bet I come up with an 'interesting' (I almost guarrantee it) photo!  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Peter wrote:

A bug with the new M5. 1-3 seconds delay when using flash in manual mode and manual focus.

Cannot speak for the M5, but my M3 has a much longer flash recharge time than my T5.  I have never measured it, but I did test it when I first bouight the camera.  It was about 5-10 seconds between shots.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Peter wrote:

A bug with the new M5. 1-3 seconds delay when using flash in manual mode and manual focus.

Cannot speak for the M5, but my M3 has a much longer flash recharge time than my T5.  I have never measured it, but I did test it when I first bouight the camera.  It was about 5-10 seconds between shots.

They're probably trying to minimize the peak load on the battery, always a concern with an EVF camera. But you'd use an external flash anyway, wouldn't you?

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Peter wrote:

They're probably trying to minimize the peak load on the battery, always a concern with an EVF camera. But you'd use an external flash anyway, wouldn't you?

Makes sense.  I'm sure using the internal flash would drain the battery even more quickly.

If I used an external flash at all, it would have to be a fairly small flash.  Something as large as a 430EX would only throw off the balance of the camera, even though the camera body is surprisingly weighty for its' size. 

My M3 has two primary uses.  It is great for shooting stacked macro photos, with its' focus peaking display.  It's also great to use as a walk around camera with a wide angle, manual focus lens, when you want to travel small.  I picked the M Series over the G Series for the interchangeable lenses, which I assume means it is far more serviceable.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements