cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D will not come on when a fresh rechargeable battery is installed and switch turned to on

slipstick101
Apprentice

11 REPLIES 11

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

A real Canon brand battery and a real Canon brand charger?

If not it may be a faulty cheap battery and/or charger.  If it is, your 7D might need service.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Real Canon battery charged on a Canon charger.  This battery has been used sucessfully in this camera before.  Does anyone know anything about a seconday battery within the 7D camera?

There are a couple of microswitches which must be engaged or the camera will not power on.

One is located on the memory card door (a tiny tab on the door engages the switch hidden in the edge of the door-frame.)

The other is located on the battery compartment door (again, tab on door, switch in door-frame.)

If either of these are not fully engaged the camera will not power up regardless of battery state.

Also, are you using a battery grip with your camera?  If so, please remeove the grip and test to see if the not having the grip makes a difference.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"One is located on the memory card door (a tiny tab on the door engages the switch hidden in the edge of the door-frame.)"

It has been a while since I sold my last 7D but I don't think this will stop the 7D from powering on.  The door being closed or open or even no CF card will not stop it. On the other hand the battery door switch will.

Any non-Canon itmes like a battery grip is a bad idea.  If there is any third party accessories on the camera they must be removed to see it they are at fault.

If no to this, you likely need service.  Smiley Sad

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"One is located on the memory card door (a tiny tab on the door engages the switch hidden in the edge of the door-frame.)"

It has been a while since I sold my last 7D but I don't think this will stop the 7D from powering on.  The door being closed or open or even no CF card will not stop it. On the other hand the battery door switch will. ...

I do still have my 7D's, and Ernie is wrong. If either door is open, the camera will not turn on. (But he's right that a CF card need not be present.)

Sorry, Ernie!  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

It is not that way on my 1 series.  I just tried it.  The door can be open or not.  Card or not.  Too long ago for this feeble mind to remember the 7D.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It is not that way on my 1 series.  I just tried it.  The door can be open or not.  Card or not.  Too long ago for this feeble mind to remember the 7D.

Well, I'll take your word about the 1 series. But you surely don't think I didn't try it on one of my 7D's before I wrote what I did?!  Smiley LOL

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I'll bet you did! I would have and I did with my 1Ds Mk III.

EB

" Does anyone know anything about a seconday battery within the 7D camera?"

There is a keep alive battery for date and some settings.  It will not prevent the camera from powering up.

EB
Announcements