cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D MK2 - GPS and digital compass data

Ouchman
Apprentice

I am trying to get the lens direction data from the EXIF file - when I was shooting I could see both direction - NE and the degrees 45 - however the GPS data in the metadata only shows the lens direction not the degrees - so I only get North East or West etc not NE 45ª. Does this mean that I have to write it down when shooting - I have a lot of work with an Urban Planner which is why I bought the 7D MK2 -  the on-board GPS.

Thanks in advance 🙂

Ouchman.

2 REPLIES 2

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Ouchman wrote:

I am trying to get the lens direction data from the EXIF file - when I was shooting I could see both direction - NE and the degrees 45 - however the GPS data in the metadata only shows the lens direction not the degrees - so I only get North East or West etc not NE 45ª. Does this mean that I have to write it down when shooting - I have a lot of work with an Urban Planner which is why I bought the 7D MK2 -  the on-board GPS.

Thanks in advance 🙂

Ouchman.

No need to write it down, here is the degree equivalent for each cardinal compass point.

Northeast = 45 degrees
East = 90 degrees
Southeast = 135 degrees
South = 180 degrees
Southwest = 225 degrees
West = 270 degrees
Northwest = 315 degrees
North = 360 degrees

Thanks - does that mean that the lens direction is only acurate to plus or minus 45 degrees? i.e if the actual direction is NE 12 it will show up as NE 45? - hope that is clear 🙂

Announcements