cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D zoomed remote live view sharper??

emitc2h
Contributor

Hi,

I've got this Canon Zoom lens EF 70-300mm on my EOS 6D, connected via EOS Remote Utility on my Macbook Pro running MacOS 10.9.1. Everything is working great, and I'm really impressed by the level of details I can achieve by zooming on the moon:

Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 1.05.33 AM.png

I thought, that looks really amazing! Imagine what the shot will look like when I snap the actual photo with these settings. And then I obtain this. This is a comparison of the screenshot from Live View-Zoom View (left) and the actual shot (right):

Screen Shot 2014-01-18 at 2.16.29 PM.png

I tried changing the image quality (I tried RAW) to no avail. I don't know where the loss of details comes from, I was wondering if anyone here had any insight on this or ran into similar problems.

Thanks,

Michel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Can you try and turn off High ISO NR? at ISO 12800, you can lose a lot of detail with NR. The moon is pretty bright, so you don't need that high of an ISO. And the moon should be sharp even at slower shutter speed. So try slower shutter speed, lower ISO, turn off NR. Your shot looks more like Over NR than out of focus or camera shake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

The great thing about shooting RAW is you can post process. On a computer with much bigger screen, you can determine the noise reduction level to balance between noise & detail. As rule of thumb, if you shoot RAW, better turn off all the in-camera processing such as High Tone Priority, Auto Lighting Optimizer, High ISO Noise Reduction, Lens Correction, etc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 6D's manual in the RAW sections starts with:
"A RAW image is raw data output by the image sensor converted to digital data".
Are you saying there is some in camera processing such as High ISO NR even with RAW? I believe that based on the results of tests I have done and what others in this thread demonstrated.

Is there a table somewhere on the web or in a manual that lists those options that impact RAW processing?

There is only one option effect RAW setting which is Long Exposure Noise Reduction because it use dark frame subtraction method. Everything else you can change in post processing.
What you see on your camera LCD screen is not the actual RAW file but it is the camera-processed image. Thus, if you turn off all of the camera processing settings like I listed above, then your RAW and display JPG will be really close to each other. That way, it is easier for you to judge your photo.

Thanks! Now that you have explained it that makes a lot of sense.

Steve

Announcements