cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D or EOS 77D

BossCMOS
Apprentice
I recently purchased a 70-200 IS f/4 lens and now I am looking to upgrade my old Rebel xsi and was researching the original 6D and the new 77D. I know the 77D is a lot newer with upgraded features like digic7, more fps, and more auto-focus points but I am still wondering if the full frame sensor on the 6D would produce better images overall in all lighting conditions. The 6D Mark 2 would be my choice if money wasn't an issue. I'm trying to stay around 1k or less. Thanks in advance for any input.
8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

80D or 6D.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

John_SD
Whiz

@BossCMOS wrote:

The 6D Mark 2 would be my choice if money wasn't an issue. I'm trying to stay around 1k or less. Thanks in advance for any input.

I believe you've answered your own question. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

IMHO, I would go for the 80D over the 6D or even the 6D Mk II.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BossCMOS
Apprentice
Comparing the 80D to the 77D, it looks like shutter speed, 7fps vs 6fps, weather sealing, and battery life are the main advantages of the 80D. The 77D has better ISO range due to the newer processor, Bluetooth, and it's less weight overall. Don't know if the 80D is worth the extra $250, for myself anyway. Same AF and same sensor in both.

@BossCMOS wrote:
Comparing the 80D to the 77D, it looks like shutter speed, 7fps vs 6fps, weather sealing, and battery life are the main advantages of the 80D. The 77D has better ISO range due to the newer processor, Bluetooth, and it's less weight overall. Don't know if the 80D is worth the extra $250, for myself anyway. Same AF and same sensor in both.

Didn't somebody report that the 77D lacks AFMA? That would be a deal breaker for me. It's why I would never buy another Rebel and why I talked my wife into replacing her T2i with a 7D2 instead of a T6i.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Looks like no AFMA. 

@BossCMOS wrote:

Looks like no AFMA. 

Looks like there may not be a Canon battery grip forthcoming, either.  I am told the battery compartment lacks the extra contacts that are needed for a shutter button and other controls.

I cannot speak for the 77D on image quality, but the 80D is a better camera coming and going.  It has a prism viewfinder, instead of a mirror.  The 80D has a MUCH better image sensor, which has 27 AF points that can focus to f/8.  The 77D does not have an f/8 AF point.  The 80D is MUCH better in low light, and it matches the 6D spec of focusing down to -3 Ev.  I think the 77d stops at -1 Ev.

Take a look at the Canon Online Refurbished DSLR Camera Store for the 80D.  There is a link to the entire store in the lower right corner of most of the forum pages.  The price wil be right.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

lly3988
Rising Star

If you have a tight budget, why not consider a refurbished 80D. I have recently ordered one for my family and it has just 35 clicks on it. Everything is like new. The only difference is no color product box. It carries a one full year Canon warranty.

See attached screen catured for an expired ad. It will be back soon. Check Canon estore frequently for promotion.capture-20170710-105953.png

Update : Oops, my apology. I have missed out the recommendation made in. the last post. Anyways, it shows how low the price can be for a refurbished 80D plus additional saving.

Announcements