cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D - Worth the toys or save up for 5d MKIII?

Marvin
Contributor

There are lots of things I like about the upcoming EOS 6D, but there are also a few things that I don't like so much.

I like: 

• Full frame
  • Wi-Fi
  • Wi-Fi smartphone interface
  • GPS
  • HDR (maybe?)

I don't like:

• Severe lack in AF points
  • Memory card lacking CF
  • 97% Viewfinder

The price difference is the killer, but maybe it's worth it in the long run. 

Is anyone planning to get the 6D, or specifically NOT going to get it for some reason?

http://www.phoblography.org/
28 REPLIES 28

alain
Contributor

I'd say no, save for the 5D3. The AF in 6D is very limited, it is in the continuity of 5D2 ie 5D1 ie 20D ...

Once you try the advanced AF like 1D or 5D3, you'll have real difficulties to go backward to a limited system.

My advice is to try it in real conditions before you buy, so you can feel the difference.

Alain

I agree about the superiority of the 5D3's AF, but I think it depends a lot on your subjects as well.  I still shoot with a 5D Classic next to a 1D X and a 5D3 for sports work.  The 5D is the one with the 16-35 and flash, and its toy AF is not a big handicap for my intended purpose.

It depends on the particular shooter. For me the 6D is more valuable with the -3EV than the multi point Af in the Mk3. WiFi is nicer than faster frame rate, and so on. If I update my 5D2 it would be the 6D, not the Mk3 but most likely is not going to happen. I'll rather wait till Canon offers a FF body with a swivel screen or a totally new generation of FF sensors to compete with Sony Exmor. Whichever comes first.

Eduardo

Agree with Alain. If 6d is going to be your first full-frame, you will still love it. 

If you shoot a lot of fast action, or indoors in low light , then the lack of cross-point sensor might haunt you, but if you are into landscapes, you will be equally happy with 6D

A number of points is not identical to a quality of their work. In real life, 11 non cross points will create a problem when shooting subjects with a large number of smaller objects that are chaotically moving in different planes and do not have contrasting horizontal lines. But how often do you shoot such scenes?  Problems with non-Central points of the new camera did not arise even during the street shooting on the move. The camera is not designed for shooting sporting events, but I can't say that she can't do it. The auto focus is much better than the 5DMkII. Compare auto focus Canon 7D with auto focus NIKON D7000. The number of points is not talking about the quality of the work of these points. If you want an inexpensive sports camera: 7D and 5DMkIII cope with this task better; If you want to light the camera for everyday shooting: AF 6D will be enough.

Non-professional photographers rarely recorded images on both cards. If needed, you can save snapshots via Wi-Fi, and even the right to cloud services.

I'm way behind the times as I'm still shooting with a 30D, so I'm pretty scared that the AF will function similarly to that. I do have to say that I've heard great things about the 6D's AF performance, so that is a plus.

I do shoot lots of landscape and currently shoot real estate for work. No sports, etc. For a difference of $1200 I could get some sweet glass instead of 5DMKIII.
http://www.phoblography.org/

The biggest advantage for real estate shooting with the 5D III that we have seen (over the 5D I/II) is 5 shot exposure bracketing for use in Photomatix HDR (the on-camera HDR is interesting but not good enough for this).  It goes so much quicker this way than doing bracketing manually.  If the 6D does that, then is should be fine - and even if it doesn't, 3 bracketed shots are usually more than sufficient for MLS listing shots.  And if you don't do HDR, then even less an issue.

We use mostly 24mm and 16mm TSE lenses that are manual focus anyway, so the cool autofocus is nice for other work, but no big deal for real estate...and yes, the TSE lenses will make way more difference than the camera.

Steve
EOS 5D MKIII

The biggest advantage for real estate shooting with the 5D III that we have seen (over the 5D I/II) is 5 shot exposure bracketing for use in Photomatix HDR (the on-camera HDR is interesting but not good enough for this).  It goes so much quicker this way than doing bracketing manually.  If the 6D does that, then is should be fine - and even if it doesn't, 3 bracketed shots are usually more than sufficient for MLS listing shots.  And if you don't do HDR, then even less an issue.

We use mostly 24mm and 16mm TSE lenses that are manual focus anyway, so the cool autofocus is nice for other work, but no big deal for real estate...and yes, the TSE lenses will make way more difference than the camera.

I get 9 shot exposure bracketing with my 5D Classic, and I suppose 6D will be able to do the same  after Magic Lantern had been introduced to that camera too. Each of my images here are taken with 5 shot bracketing with 5D Classic. Press Translate if you want to read too.

Ironic that Magic Lantern opens up the features in Canon cameras making them much more feature rich despite Canon crippling them....
I'm just sayin'... 😉

Think about what ML on a 6d could do? 🙂 🙂
Announcements