cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5DS lens

rlklaus
Apprentice

New here with a simple question. Recently bought an EOS 5DS. Have a wide zoom 10/20 for my EOS 60, which of course does not fit the 5DS. Anyone know of a reasonably priced lens that would work on the 5DS? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@rlklaus wrote:

New here with a simple question. Recently bought an EOS 5DS. Have a wide zoom 10/20 for my EOS 60, which of course does not fit the 5DS. Anyone know of a reasonably priced lens that would work on the 5DS? 

Only buy the widest aperture lenses you can afford.  It will help your camera to focus better.  The camera focuses at maximum aperture of the lens, and a wider aperture lens will let in more light to the AF sensor.  With a 5Ds, I would stick to f/2.8, or wider.

If you want the same AOV as they 10-22mm on 60D, then you want one of the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L lenses.  I love the mark II version.  Canon has recently released a Mark III version.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

rlklaus wrote:

That's a fascinating question. Why on earth would you buy a 5DS (a rather specialized camera by any standard) without even knowing what lens you intend to use on it? What do you plan to use the camera for? And under the circumstances, what do you mean by "reasonably priced"? If price is a consideration, I'd think you would have bought a 6D or at most a 5D3. I think you'll have to enlighten us further if you want a sensible answer.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Probably bought the 5DS to supplement the 60 for aviation work. For most work, I have the normal or long

lenses covered. Occasionally I do get into a tight location where a wide angle zoom would be helpful.  Sorry if my lack of grasp of all thing photographic bothers you. My work is primarily in transportation, and unlike you, I don't have a wealth of knowledge.

As to why I bought the 5DS. trying to plan ahead for the time when I've amassed your overwhelming amount of knowledge.

For the time being a wide lens a little less expensive than the $2600 Canon offering would be helpful on those occasions where cramped quarters do not allow for a normal distance from the subject.       

You may need a lens like

EF 11-24mm F4L USM

It's currently on sale :

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-11-24mm-f-4l-u

lly3988
Rising Star

Do you mean EOS 60D and EF-S 10-22mm lens ?

If you want a walk around lens, you may consider a 24-105. (version 1 or 2) or a 24-70 F4 IS. You may also get a 40mm f2.8 pancake lens or a 50mm f1.8 STM if you are on a budget for the time being.

At this time of the year, you have good chances to get reasonably priced lenses due to seasonal sales. For long term investment, you may consider the 16-35/4, the 24-70II and the 70-200 II.

Choice of lenses depend on what you want to shoot - portrait, landscape, wildlife, macro etc, etc.

nearibris
Contributor

the above guy made good suggestions on lenses.

my recommendation is cheaper and likely your best option.

first stick with canon lenses, they are better than most competition.

Sounds like you want wide angle... your 10-18mm efs is about an equivalent of 16-17mm on full frame.

So i recommend at 17-40mm L lens from Canon. its not that expensive and is an L, so you know its robust and will last you.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@rlklaus wrote:

Only buy the widest aperture lenses you can afford.  It will help your camera to focus better.  The camera focuses at maximum aperture of the lens, and a wider aperture lens will let in more light to the AF sensor.  With a 5Ds, I would stick to f/2.8, or wider.

If you want the same AOV as they 10-22mm on 60D, then you want one of the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L lenses.  I love the mark II version.  Canon has recently released a Mark III version.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements