cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 1DX2 and CR2

lburriss
Apprentice

I just discovered that CR2 taken with a 1DX2 can't be viewed in PhotoShop 6 without converting using DNG, and even after conversion the thumbnails are not visible.  Nor can the thumbnails be viewed in Photo Gallery (I updated the CODEC).  Is there a way to "back convert" new CR2 files taken with a 1DX2 to the old CR2 format taken wiith a 1DX, which worked fine in PS 6?

12 REPLIES 12

Robert form Boston,

If you edit the CR2 files in Lightroom, in what format do you pass them off to Photoshop? CR2? No, ..."

They open as CR2.   LR uses the same ACR as PS.  Except it is still updated in LR. If you use 'render' option in LR, they open as PSD. If you make edits in LR, you are given the choice to open the original or a copy of the edited file. At any rate any of these can be saved as a TIFF.

Disclaimer;

I will say I don't have a 1Dx Mk II to actually try this on but it is this way it works right now.  Doesn't matter what brand of camera either. They all come in as RAW files.

This is a file from LR, then imported into PS6. When you do it this way it skips the normal PS screen that shows ACR adjustments because LR has already applied them.

cr2.jpg

Your favorite program of all time, DPP4 will do this, too.  But I believe it converts it to a TIFF first.  You can answer that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

If you buy, you can still buy, Lightroom, it will open and edit 1Dx Mk II files.  They can then be opend in PS6.  If you use the DNG converter you are not locked into Adobe products because it will save a file in TIFF format.

TIFF files  can be either uncompressed or compressed using lossless compression and they can be 16-bits.  Multiple layered images can be saved, too. TIFF files are an excellent option which you may edit later. It introduces no compression artifacts.

LR is still updated regularly.

If you edit the CR2 files in Lightroom, in what format do you pass them off to Photoshop? CR2? No, because they'll presumably still be in the 1DX-specific format that PS6 can't read. JPEG? You'll lose information. TIFF? Every TIFF file I ever saw was enormous - at least twice the size of the corresponding CR2 file. I don't see this as a particularly attractive solution.

To me if someone doesn't have Lightroom already it doesn't make sense to spend $140 to buy Lightroom, when you can get a subscription to the latest version of Photoshop and Lightroom for $10/month.

It does to me because I don't 'rent'.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements