cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading Pics from camera to PC

PMF
Contributor

Greetings all. I'm new here. I've decided to get back into photography after a long absence. I just got a new Canon D6 with a 24-105 lens. Things are going good so far. That being said, I can't get my PC to recognize the camera anymore when I attach it to download pics. It did the first few times I would connect it. I'm running Windows 10 and it would always ask "what do you want to do when this device is attached to the PC". Or something like that. But the last time it asked that, I didn't get the chance to answer as the DPP utilitycame up on the screen and I clicked on it. I think that might have told the "autoplay" software on the PC to ignore the camera now when I attach it. I've tried everything I can think of to make the PC recognize the camera when I attach it. No luck. The only way I can get my photos from the camera to the PC now is to remove the Sandisk card and put it into the slot on the PC. That's not what I want to do everytime I download pics. Does anyone know of a way to correct this? When the camera is plugged into the PC, it doesn't show up in the file folder as a drive. Thanks.      

14 REPLIES 14

SamanthaW

Hi!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what operating system (Windows Vista/7/8 or Mac OS 10.X) you are using. That way, the community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

Thanks! 

Hi Samantha. Thank you for the welcome. I did state in my post that I'm on Windows 10. It was working fine and then the PC stopped recognizing the camera when I attach it. 

Not recognizing the camera is a common problem and the cause is usually the computer.  The most common cure is to connect the camera to PC then turn the camera off then back on.  If that fails, try switching USB port.  If you still have problems...you might want to follow the following guide:

http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51200/~/what-to-do-when-windows-10-does-not-...

I highly recommend that you remove the card and download the pictures via a card reader. Most of us use this method.  I find hooking up the camera to the PC a lot more troublesome than removing the card.  Not sure you know that you can't download more than 1000 items via the Camera to PC method?

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Hey diverhank. I've tried all four USP ports on the front of the PC. I've tried turning the camera off and on and off and on many times. Still now luck. I think I'll just start using a card reader but I'd still liie to be able to connect the camera to the PC.

No, I did not know about the 1000 image limitiation. I don't think I've ever taken more than a couple hundred shots before downloading. Thanks for the info.   

@PMF wrote:

Hey diverhank. I've tried all four USP ports on the front of the PC. I've tried turning the camera off and on and off and on many times. Still now luck. I think I'll just start using a card reader but I'd still liie to be able to connect the camera to the PC.

No, I did not know about the 1000 image limitiation. I don't think I've ever taken more than a couple hundred shots before downloading. Thanks for the info.   

Follow the guide in the link I provided then.  You need to delete the Canon device then have the computer recognizes it.

diverhank wrote:

Follow the guide in the link I provided then.  You need to delete the Canon device then have the computer recognizes it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've done that seveal times. No matter how many times or USB ports I try, the camera doesn't show up in device manager. So there's no way to unistall it.

Like I said in my first post, it was working fine until the one time I didn't get a chance to reply to the message that always comes up when I connect a device to my PC. It works for anything else I attach to the PC. Such as my iPhone. Somehow, the PC has lost the ability to recognize the camera. And I've searched the Windows help.

Don't you hate Windows 10? It forced me (kindof) to upgrade from 7 to 10 and disabled all of my USB 3 ports (Dell refuses to provide Windows 10 drivers) leaving my laptop partially crippled...I only have one USB 2 port working after the update. I loathe Windows 10.  Enough venting...did you look at the Autoplay option (Click on the Window symbol on lower left, then the wheel (Settings) then the AutoPlay option. What does it say for the Removable Drive? You might want to change that to something else...that might be enough for the prompt to come up giving you a chance to change it.  I'd toggle the USB option too.  I had this problem too but I mucked around in Settings until it worked again...but I can't remember what I did...Sorry can't be of more help.

diverhank said:

Don't you hate Windows 10? It forced me (kindof) to upgrade from 7 to 10 and disabled all of my USB 3 ports (Dell refuses to provide Windows 10 drivers) leaving my laptop partially crippled...I only have one USB 2 port working after the update. I loathe Windows 10.  Enough venting...did you look at the Autoplay option (Click on the Window symbol on lower left, then the wheel (Settings) then the AutoPlay option. What does it say for the Removable Drive? You might want to change that to something else...that might be enough for the prompt to come up giving you a chance to change it.  I'd toggle the USB option too.  I had this problem too but I mucked around in Settings until it worked again...but I can't remember what I did...Sorry can't be of more help.

======================================================

It said. "Ask me every time". I did change it to something else but it still doesn't work. The camera doesn't show up as a device in file explorer. As soon as I pluged in the card reader with the card in it, it immediatley showed up in file explorer. I give. I'll just use the card reader from now on. Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

Bill

@diverhank wrote:

Since you ask, no I don't hate Windows 10. I've found it to be Microsoft's best OS since Windows 2000. It sees all our cameras (the ones we ever use anyway) just fine: T2i, 50D, 7D, 5D3, 7D2. It even allows my Lenovo laptop to serve as a fully-functional Hyper-V host. I've seen all the usual gripes about Windows 10, but so far I really haven't found any of the major ones to be true. Well, one: I can't seem to make its backup system back up mapped drives. But that's about it.

If it matters, I'm using Windows 10 Pro. YMMV, I suppose.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements