cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading Pics from camera to PC

PMF
Contributor

Greetings all. I'm new here. I've decided to get back into photography after a long absence. I just got a new Canon D6 with a 24-105 lens. Things are going good so far. That being said, I can't get my PC to recognize the camera anymore when I attach it to download pics. It did the first few times I would connect it. I'm running Windows 10 and it would always ask "what do you want to do when this device is attached to the PC". Or something like that. But the last time it asked that, I didn't get the chance to answer as the DPP utilitycame up on the screen and I clicked on it. I think that might have told the "autoplay" software on the PC to ignore the camera now when I attach it. I've tried everything I can think of to make the PC recognize the camera when I attach it. No luck. The only way I can get my photos from the camera to the PC now is to remove the Sandisk card and put it into the slot on the PC. That's not what I want to do everytime I download pics. Does anyone know of a way to correct this? When the camera is plugged into the PC, it doesn't show up in the file folder as a drive. Thanks.      

14 REPLIES 14

@diverhank wrote:

Don't you hate Windows 10? It forced me (kindof) to upgrade from 7 to 10 and disabled all of my USB 3 ports (Dell refuses to provide Windows 10 drivers) leaving my laptop partially crippled...I only have one USB 2 port working after the update. I loathe Windows 10.  Enough venting...did you look at the Autoplay option (Click on the Window symbol on lower left, then the wheel (Settings) then the AutoPlay option. What does it say for the Removable Drive? You might want to change that to something else...that might be enough for the prompt to come up giving you a chance to change it.  I'd toggle the USB option too.  I had this problem too but I mucked around in Settings until it worked again...but I can't remember what I did...Sorry can't be of more help.

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Since you ask, no I don't hate Windows 10. I've found it to be Microsoft's best OS since Windows 2000. It sees all our cameras (the ones we ever use anyway) just fine: T2i, 50D, 7D, 5D3, 7D2. It even allows my Lenovo laptop to serve as a fully-functional Hyper-V host. I've seen all the usual gripes about Windows 10, but so far I really haven't found any of the major ones to be true. Well, one: I can't seem to make its backup system back up mapped drives. But that's about it.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've never had any problems with Windows 10. Unless the problem I'm having now is a Win 10 problem. 

I guess if you start with Windows 10 you should be fine. It's the almost forced update of my computer to Windows 10 from 7 was the problem.  Nothing works properly after that and it won't let me go back to Windows 7 (it pretended to then gave me the error sorry we can't go back - I'm forced into a crippled computer from a perfectly working Win 7 before).  I have too much software installed to do a complete wipe.  Windows 10 also wakes itself up in the middle of the night doing God knows what regardless of my instructions otherwise...No doubt some of it is my lack of knowledge on Windows 10 but who among us knows everything?

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@PMF wrote:

Hi Samantha. Thank you for the welcome. I did state in my post that I'm on Windows 10. It was working fine and then the PC stopped recognizing the camera when I attach it. 

The usual answer in cases like yours is that the user is trying to talk to the camera over a USB cable with WiFi enabled on the camera. A 6D can have only one communications protocol enabled at a time.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hey Bob. I've tried many times without WiFi enabled.

jasmynn
Contributor

So, I've tried everything under the sun!  All the suggestions, even updated the firmware and tried 3 different EOS Software versions. After trying several chargers, I found a really thick one and voila!!! It connected. I had already tried 6 different chargers. So at the end of the day, it does take a specific type of charger I don't know what  the difference is accept its a very thick cable and the others were regular cables that would come with a phone. 

Announcements