cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the metering system of (for eg) a 7D know if the lens image stabaliser is switched on?

BryanShaw1
Enthusiast

In the viewfinder, the apperture reading will flash if the camera believes the lighting level is too low and camera shake may be an issue.

Does it take into account whether or not the lens image stabaliser is turned on?

1 REPLY 1

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@BryanShaw1 wrote:

In the viewfinder, the apperture reading will flash if the camera believes the lighting level is too low and camera shake may be an issue.

Does it take into account whether or not the lens image stabaliser is turned on?

There are some combinations of high performanc camera bodies, and some of the "L" telephoto and super telephoto lens, that can detect when the camera is on a tripod, and disable the in-lens image stabilization automatically.  I am not aware of any means to detect when this kicks in, nor of any means to override the behavior.

I do know that I can sometimes hear the IS motors make a faint scratching sound with I am handholding a lens, and have the camera near my face.  I have never heard this sound when the combination is on a tripod, though.  For the most part, I turn off IS when I mount the camera on a tripod.  In fact, I frequently have the AF turned off when I am using a tripod, which disables the IS, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements