cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do monochrome files still have the colour infrmation?

Lundavra
Enthusiast

I was out with my EOS6D yesterday and when I got home and downloaded my images, I found that about halfway through the day it had switched to Monochrome.  I have found it similarly switch to some unexpected mode previously presumably a button having been touched by accident.

I found it was in Monochrome after the images were downloaded and the images displayed in Canon Zoombrowser (I can't stand the default viewer selected by the downloader so changed it back to the previous viewer.  They were in monochrome.

I copied the RAW.CR2 files to a spare folder for editing and opened PICASA to edit them.  They displayed in colour.

I carried on edited, exported and uploaded to FLICKR and they were still in colour.

Do monochrome images (or at least RAW ones) still have all the colour information?

14 REPLIES 14

I just tried DPP, certainly works well and gives good results

But it does not seem to have any way of overlaying my name in the corner with a copyright notice.  I also often want to label details on the image and again no way to that.

I will keep for when I wany a particularly high quality image and continue with PICASA for most of them.

No matter which RAW converter I use I almost always use Picasa for the things you mentioned, plus dust spot removel. I have also found I can re sharpen in Picasa after my other processing & improve certain types of photos.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

You need to try and buy Photoshop Elements.  It will do everything you want.  And it will do it better, all in one program.  Good thing, it isn't too expensive. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Sorry but I can't agree with you there. I have CS 6 but Picasa can watermark, lower resolution to web size (many options re file size) which creates a totally new file leaving you the original & upload to my albums as soon as the files get that treatment. I can process hundreds of files with just a few mouse clicks & rather quickly.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

"Sorry but I can't agree with you there."

And you think PSE 14 can't?   Plus PSE will do way, way more than Picasa.  Remember PSE is designed for people that are not PS users.  It combines a lot of the features found in Bridge, LR and PS.  It can be web based or local.  It is designed for the scrapbooker to the advanced amateur. PSE 14 has added "camera shake".  Plus it is always on sale somewhere and in some cases given away free with a camera purchase.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements