Legend
Legend

Maybe you will like these better.  I try to please! Smiley Happy

_D4_9792.jpg

_D4_9797.jpg

_D4_9806.jpg

_D4_9809.jpg

_D4_9812.jpg

All with my best of class, 1.3 body the EOS 1D Mk IV.  Birders favorite camera!  I love this camera. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
150 REPLIES 150

@jazzman1 wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@jazzman1 wrote:

Can DPP 3 correct any of the issues I'm having with my pics???

It can adjust the rotation, if that's what your asking, and can handle an unusually small increment - 1/100 degree, IIRC. IOW, less than one minute of arc. It's in the same tool that does cropping. (Do any necessary crop first, then the rotation.) In DPP 3 it's off in the "Tools" menu, but a little better integrated with the GUI in DPP 4.

I was talking about straightning my lines, to correcting other stuff like barrel and pincusion distortion, and the other things I am encountering with my pics that need correcting.

I don't know. I've tried to stay away from lenses that produce significant amounts of those kinds of distortion. They may be included in the lens correction options in DPP.

Don't know what IRC, IOW, nor what ARC is???

IIRC = "If I remember correctly"

IOW = "In other words"

A "minute of arc" is a rotational increment of 1/60 of a degree (to distinguish it from a "minute of time", which is a temporal increment of 1/60 of an hour).

BTW.....I used "Peripheral Illumin. Correct. yesterday, I had it disabled.  Then when I processed my RAW pics as usual none of the correction features (sharpness, color, tint, etc) in DPP would work.  All I could do was batch process to Jpeg and change size.   Seems if I use this feature in camera, DPP disables itself from any post corrections.

That sounds weird. You weren't trying to use DPP 4, were you? I'm not sure it supports the 60D. 

I did download the data for my 70-300 to DPP.   But don't think it is going to be input in my camera.

If you're shooting RAW, it shouldn't need to be in the camera. Having it known to the editor (in this case, DPP) should be sufficient. That applies also to peripheral illumination correction. The editor can handle it if it has the lens data. This stuff should be covered in the DPP manual. Shame on Canon if it isn't.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

IOW = "In other words"

You're a funny man, you do have a sense of humor  Smiley LOL

I'm using DPP 3.   But you can get the Trumpet out Bob it's a sad day.  I just committed Photography suiside, Oh Man.  I just ordered LR, it's processing as I type.  Also got the Canon Lens Tripod Mount, almost got a 3rd party one for 1/4 of the price.  But thought since this is for an expensive Canon Lens (least for me) and thought of what Obiwan said about damaging my 60D...I just went and bit the bullet for the Canon Mount., did'nt want to chance an inferior product.   Since I had blew my budget for next month already, I said what the heck, and got the Rapid Extreme Sling and the Canon 50mm f/1.4.         I can hear the Taps blowin Bob.........way down here.  Man Sad               Just tell Obiwan to put roses on my grave.......Smiley LOL

@jazzman1 wrote:

IOW = "In other words"

You're a funny man, you do have a sense of humor  Smiley LOL

I'm using DPP 3.   But you can get the Trumpet out Bob it's a sad day.  I just committed Photography suiside, Oh Man.  I just ordered LR, it's processing as I type.

Lightroom is highly regarded by the many photographers who use it. Learn to use it and decide for yourself how well it meets your needs. Life is too short for you to start having buyer's remorse before you ever even try the product.

Also got the Canon Lens Tripod Mount, almost got a 3rd party one for 1/4 of the price.  But thought since this is for an expensive Canon Lens (least for me) and thought of what Obiwan said about damaging my 60D...I just went and bit the bullet for the Canon Mount., did'nt want to chance an inferior product.

Obviously I know nothing of the 3rd-party mount you didn't buy. But in products of this sort the difference is often that the expensive versions are forgings and the cheap ones castings. A casting is more likely to break under stress.

Since I had blew my budget for next month already, I said what the heck, and got the Rapid Extreme Sling and the Canon 50mm f/1.4.         I can hear the Taps blowin Bob.........way down here.  Man Sad               Just tell Obiwan to put roses on my grave.......Smiley LOL

If you think that's me second-guessing you, you'd be wrong. You're a more impulsive purchaser than I am, I suppose, but that doesn't mean that what you're doing is wrong. What you should guard against, IMO, is letting other people make decisions for you. And especially against encouraging them to do so.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hey Bob good to hear from you.Smiley Happy  I'm tired as heck right now and still have stuff to do.  I would hate to repeat everything I told Biggs, I want to tell you.  If you would read my last replies to Obiwan about being pushed into stuff and doing things cause someone said i should, i'd be mighty grateful to not have to repeat it all to you.  But the short story is I have'nt been pushed, pulled, jumped on, shot at, beatup, chased, nor intimidated  Smiley Tongue ...........to do anything I did'nt want to.  Everything was my choice for me.  I will have no regrets about anything I purchased today, even if my gear grow feet and run away  Smiley LOL  Honest injun, i'm good Bob and thank you for your concern.  Most of what i said to you in that last post was said in jest, i was only funnin.  Please forgive me if I led you wrong ,but i think, like obiwan, you mistook what i said and how i meant it.  Implusive???  Maybe, I'll have to think about that one  Smiley Very Happy

If you think that's me second-guessing you, you'd be wrong. You're a more impulsive purchaser than I am, I suppose, but that doesn't mean that what you're doing is wrong. What you should guard against, IMO, is letting other people make decisions for you. And especially against encouraging them to do so

After 2nd look at this reply I thought I should add:

Thanks for your concern, and I really appreciate your imput.  But no, no one influenced anything I did.  Believe me my choice was my idea.   But I can see how you could think that, I really do.  I'm captain of my ship and if I sink, it's no one's fault but my own.  But I don't forsee that happening, like Obiwan, I'm having the time of my life with my photography.  My successful Cancer Surgery has given me a new lease on life and a whole new outlook  Smiley Very Happy            The only hesitation I have with LR is I will only be able to install it on one Pc.  That will be a drag.  While my main editing Pc is a desktop upstairs, with the new 1080P HD monitor, I also use my 720P HD laptop downstairs even more.  I will hate to have to go upstairs every time I upload and edit my pics.  With DPP on all my Pc's I can edit on any of 5 Pc's. 

Oh, silly me,  just thought, I will still have DPP installed along with LR ,and I can still use all my Pc's to upload and edit.   Smiley Wink

One thing for certain, you absolutely have the ability to confuse me.  Like for an instance, I buy LR and a nice monitor. But put them on a machine that I don't use very often.  But I do have DPP on all my machines.  Wait, lets see, the good one is upstairs where I don't want to go just to see my photos.  Its not convenient.  Does this look like, sound like, an equation that equals success to you?  Really?

I am still not convinced LR will improve your product or even benefit you.

First Adobe allows two installs.  Exactly for people that have a laptop and a desktop.  Plus if you bought LR6, you can put it on any number of mobile devices.  (I know you don't like them but you do like other high tech gear???)

Second you are going to have to stop dancing around the Maypole and one; put it on a machine you can actually can put to  reasonable successful use, and two; study and learn how to use it.  It will not fall into your lap. You can count on that.

Great, no wait not even great, even decent photos are 1/2 camera/lens, 1/2 you and 1/2 post.  Not necessarily in that order.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

One thing for certain, you absolutely have the ability to confuse me.

Sorry about that, I really am, not trying to do that.  I will try to do better from here out.  I sure don't want you confused about anything I say or do.  But please stop being so serious, lighten up, I'm following your lead.   Listening to you, someone could think I do nothing right.  

Like for an instance, I buy LR and a nice monitor. But put them on a machine that I don't use very often.  But I do have DPP on all my machines.  Wait, lets see, the good one is upstairs where I don't want to go just to see my photos.  Its not convenient.  Does this look like, sound like, an equation that equals success to you?  Really?

Obiwan you are much too serious.  I don't see anything wrong with what I said.  I'm not sure what your issue is, but nothing I said is going to impede my developement in Photography.  Yes, my editing and work Pc  (desktop) is upstairs and that's where I'll go for serious work, especially if that's the only Pc I will have LR installed on.  But I also have 2 Pc's (laptops) downstairs and when conventient and relevant, yes I will an also use both, cause they're more convenient.  Now if I ever complain about having to go upstairs when that's the best place to go for my pic work, and I don't go up there for nonsense reasons....then you can complain.  I'm beginning to think you either have serious issues, or just issues with me, not sure which.   Lighten up my friend.  You have to learn to allow everyone to be themselves.

I am still not convinced LR will improve your product or even benefit you.

Ok, fair enough, we'll have to see.

First Adobe allows two installs.  Exactly for people that have a laptop and a desktop.  Plus if you bought LR6, I did get LR 6   you can put it on any number of mobile devices.  (I know you don't like them but you do like other high tech gear???)

Second you are going to have to stop dancing around the Maypole and one; put it on a machine you can actually can put to  reasonable successful use, and two; study and learn how to use it.  It will not fall into your lap. You can count on that.  I know I got my work cut out for me in learning LR 6.  But none of this Photography stuff is coming easy for me.   I have alot to learn and I know I'm a slow learner.

Great, no wait not even great, even decent photos are 1/2 camera/lens, 1/2 you and 1/2 post.  Not necessarily in that order.

I believe you Obiwan, do you think I doubt you??????????????????????

"Photography stuff is coming easy for me."

On this, we agree.    On the DPP issue, ask Bob from Boston or call Canon.

You must understand, I am willing to share my thoughts about photography.  You must know there are thousands of guys just like me that do it all differently.  They are just as good or just as bad as I am.  The call is subjective.  Maybe you don't progress as fast as I would like to see or even expect but you put unnecessary obstacles in the way.

I don't want to see you spend any more money.  I want you to start concentrating on Lightroom.  At this rate of fiddling with DPP and trying LR at the same time is enough to blow anybodies mind.  Let alone my feeble brain.

My suggestion is, one camera, a few (two or three) lenses and 100% concentration on LR for your editor.  Beyond that I am of no help and probably a hindrence.   That is my plan for you as it would be if you were here in a DSLR 101 class.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Photography stuff is coming easy for me."

On this, we agree.    On the DPP issue, ask Bob from Boston or call Canon.   I said this stuff is "not coming easy" for me

You must understand, I am willing to share my thoughts about photography.  You must know there are thousands of guys just like me that do it all differently.  They are just as good or just as bad as I am.  The call is subjective.  Maybe you don't progress as fast as I would like to see or even expect but you put unnecessary obstacles in the way.

This I don't understand.  You told me you would make suggestions, and I could make my own choice to agree or not, that the choice was mine.  You gave me the impression that you let students do, and buy what they want...you said do what works for me.  Then it seems when I do what works for me...you go balistic.  That's what I don't understand.  If I do or buy something you don't agree with,  I'm the only one that will suffer any consequences, not you or anyone else.  If I make a bad choice, which so far I don't think I have, I will suffer the consequences and learn from it.  Then I will tell you...you were right.   I've never heard of a teacher trying to control what his student spends their own money on or buys....even if he thinks it's not a good idea.   I've mentored guys myself and have run into this situation with them a few times.  When it happens, I give a guy my take, then I let him bump his head till he gets tired......if he still wants to do something I advise against.   My idea is to help someone "find or learn" their way in what they want to do or get better with, not try to control them, run their life, or physically hold them back from jumping off a roof.  I'm only a guide and mentor to them and I let people make their own choices, whether good ones or bad.  They'll either learn from their mistakes, or continue to committ insanity, making the same mistakes over and over...expecting different results.   Guess we see teaching and mentoring different on this.

I don't want to see you spend any more money. Perfect example of what I mean.   Why not????   I want you to start concentrating on Lightroom.  At this rate of fiddling with DPP and trying LR at the same time is enough to blow anybodies mind.  It'll be a challenge I know     Let alone my feeble brain.

My suggestion is, one camera, a few (two or three) lenses and 100% concentration on LR for your editor.  Beyond that I am of no help and probably a hindrence.   That is my plan for you as it would be if you were here in a DSLR 101 class.  Do you mean you want me to only use 2 or 3 lens for now????   I already have 6 lens.  I will work with LR.

I'm more than willing to do the work and learn, but you have to let me learn at my own pace.  You've taught me alot already whether you know it or not.  When I 1st met you I did'nt know one lens from another (EF-S, EF, L), never had edited any pics, only had used auto with my camera, never used RAW.  I never heard of the rule of 1/3's, did'nt know a crop body from FF or about the 1.6X with a crop body.  Did'nt know what constituted a good lens from a bad one, did'nt know how to change shutter speed and aperture, or what the heck good IQ was.   I can go on and on, the things I've learned, but you seem to not have noticed.  I've learned much from You and Bob, as well as other peeps on this site.   And I'm happy with everything I've bought, have no regrets.....except the monitor.  That's the only thing I've bought  that I really did'nt want...

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements