Legend
Legend

Maybe you will like these better.  I try to please! Smiley Happy

_D4_9792.jpg

_D4_9797.jpg

_D4_9806.jpg

_D4_9809.jpg

_D4_9812.jpg

All with my best of class, 1.3 body the EOS 1D Mk IV.  Birders favorite camera!  I love this camera. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
150 REPLIES 150

Bob from Boston has, again, hit the ball squarely out of the park with this reply ...

"Ernie's talking about his 1Ds Mark 3. It's a large, heavy, very expensive ($8000 price added) full-frame camera from several years ago. It has since been replaced by the 1DX, another large, heavy, very expensive full-frame camera. Both are designed for long life and abusive use under challenging conditions. Unless that happens to be what you need, you should probably not consider buying one. In your particular case, you'd have to be crazy."

You would have to be crazy.  It is a rather well known fact, I am crazy.  In you case the ultimate camera is the 5D Mk III.  As a matter of fact if I could have just one body, the 5D Mk III would be my number two choice.  The 1D Mk IV being my number one.  There is no camera made like it.

Now to help clarify a few other points that have gotten skewed and twisted.

First and formost you need to commit to menory the 'normal' f-stops.  I am going to repeat them here.  You memorize them!

f1 - f1.4 - f2 - f2.8 - f4 - f5.6 - f8 - f11 - f16 - f22 - f32 - f45

If this proves too much, you really have to simply remember two numbers. OK? Remember 1 and 1.4. All f-stops require the use of one of these numbers.

The reason I say you need to know this is because you seem to think a f2.8 will make a big difference in, say, night time photography.  But in reality it is just one stop.  Is one stop going to make or break a situation?  Yeah, sometimes it will. But for the most part of the time it will not.

Now you say where is my f1.8 50mm?  Easy.  It is not a full stop.  There are besides the full numbers I listed above but there are also half and one-third stops.  f1.8 falls into the 1/3rd range.  To me, IMHO, there is no good reason to make a f1.8 lens.  It is in practical use a f2.

The f2.8 lenses, specificaly the 24-70mm f2.8 and the 70-200mm f2.8 are just better lenses all around and in every spec not just the fact they offer a better f2.8 over the more common and cheaper f4 versions.  It is just one more feature of the better lens.  However in the end, in your hands, out in the world, it is just one stop faster. Capisce?

Now back to the nifty-fifty subject.  On a FF camera the 50mm focal length gives an approx view that is common to most human eyes.  That is why it is called a normal lens.  It is not a bad portrait lens but not a good one either.  For that job a 85mm is much better.  Why?  Because it tends to flatten the face slightly.  IE, makes girls noses look smaller on their face.  That sorta thingy amoung others.

However, on your cropper the 35mm becomes the lens that provides the normal view ( the human eye thingy).  So it is called the normal lens for it.   The 50mm now DOES become the lens of choice for portraits for the same reasons as above.

You have a pretty nice lens inventory started with what you have already.  The addition of a 50mm f1.4 and a 35mm f1.4 or f2 would be a logical choice.  But you do know that either of the lenses you have already cover that focal length?  You will buy the 50mm and/or35mm and/or both for more than just their focal length.  Right?  Of course, right!

I want better IQ and a faster lens.  Fine that makes sense, got fo it.  If that is your reasoning, I am all in for you.  I just want that focal length is not a good reason.

Now, yes there is a newer EF 50mm f1.2 L II.  There was a first version, too.  The second version is even better than the first.  This is the ultimate 50mm, in my book. It is wonderful and needs to be used on a FF camera like the 1Ds Mk III.

It is a hard lens to use and not recommed for rookies a s a first 50mm.  It is slow to focus along with its big brother the EF 85mm f1.2 L.  These lenses have extremely shallow DOF for one thing.  Sometimes in the fractions of an inch!

As I say they both are wonderfully fantastic, I just love both.  They a both very expensive.

Did that cover everything? Smiley Happy

EB

Did that cover everything? :smileyhappy:

Obiwan I really, really, got to give you your game here (thumbs up)   Not only for your knowledge but also as my teacher.  I agree with the crazy at times   Smiley Wink.....BUT, Crazy or not, you do know your stuff.

You cleared up all my questions....for once  Smiley Very Happy  You clarified a couple questions I did'nt even ask about, I've had in the back of my head for awhile.  Far as the 50mm range you're right about my thinking here.  Yes, I knew my present lens also covers 35mm/50mm.  As you said I want a prime for better IQ and faster aperture speed.   Had'nt thought till now to get both, I only thought about 50mm.   From what you say here I will get both, again I trust your judgement.   And thanks for the info on the L's.   I surely will not get L's in either lens.  I do want good ones though, no cheapies.''

Far as the F stops I was'nt aware that's what you were referring to in your privious post.   I got the F stops Obiwan.  Other than the 35/50mm, the only other lens I have on my list is something in the 600mm range.  A zoom, not a prime.  I will need one for shots like your bird and horse shots.  Then I will be satisfied my lens collection is sufficent, though I may add more as my needs dictate.  I do want to make sure I don't unnessrarily duplicate any of my lens.

This is very good info, and for me...... a great photography lesson   Smiley Wink 

What model number #,  "black rapid" sling strap would be good for me???   I have a sling strap, a case logic, but I want a better constructed sling.

"... no, I don't think you crazy."

And in that assessment, you may find yourself a lonely person.  You see not only am I a certified photography nut, I am a trombone player.  That also requires some loss of sanity!  I tutor 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grsders at the local schools, to further substantiate the fact.  Need I say more?

I have several Black Rapid shoulder starps.  I like them all.  So, I never got any other brands so here again I can not comment on how well the others are.  I think the one I do like the best, however, is called the "Sport".  I also like the "Double" when I need to carry two heavy cameras.  I don't use it as much but it works.

For instance, you like to shoot at the Zoo.  That is where the Double is a great choice.  No camera bag, wide on one and tele on the other.  Even works well if you need a light jacket.  In fact even better as you can conceal the cameras.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... no, I don't think you crazy."

And in that assessment, you may find yourself a lonely person.  You see not only am I a certified photography nut, I am a trombone player.  That also requires some loss of sanity!  I tutor 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grsders at the local schools, to further substantiate the fact.  Need I say more?

Gee, Ernie, I don't think you're entirely crazy either. As a fellow photography nut and occasional trumpet player (trying to resurrect my lip for tomorrow's Memorial Day ceremonies), I'm in no position to throw stones.

I have several Black Rapid shoulder starps.  I like them all.  So, I never got any other brands so here again I can not comment on how well the others are.  I think the one I do like the best, however, is called the "Sport".  I also like the "Double" when I need to carry two heavy cameras.  I don't use it as much but it works.

For instance, you like to shoot at the Zoo.  That is where the Double is a great choice.  No camera bag, wide on one and tele on the other.  Even works well if you need a light jacket.  In fact even better as you can conceal the cameras.

Do the animals really care enough that you're carrying a camera to justify trying to hide it? Gorillas, I suppose, are smart enough, and inquisitive enough, to take an interest in what you're doing. But my sense is that if it doesn't look like a food item you might offer them, most zoo animals couldn't care less what you're carrying.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Do the animals really care enough that you're carrying a camera to justify trying to hide it?"

Bob form Boston,

It does depend on exactly, what kind of animals you speak?  They are two legged.  But they are not necessarily gorillas.

Walking around the Zoo with a 1D Mk IV and a 150-600mm lens draws a good deal of attention.  If you doubt me, I suggest you try it sometime.

You are certainly a doubting Thomas sometimes, Bob from Boston.

EB

"Do the animals really care enough that you're carrying a camera to justify trying to hide it?"

I had the same thoughts as Bob when I 1st read your post, then again, I also agree with your assement of the two legged animals.  I know the feeling walking around people with my camera at the Zoo and some really ,really, looked woried i will take their pics.  Even moreso at the Park when people will actually get up from the bench and turn or walk away.  People gave me some strange stares at the anual Jazz Fest here yesterday.  Many people really get paranoid when they see my camera and lens (specially the grey L).  That's why I love my long range 70-300mm L so much, I can take pics of people from a distance.  But even then, sometimes they still see me from the distance away and look like they're going to freak.  I really don't like the jacket idea much though Obiwan, it's too hot for that here.  And be too bulky and would be cumbersome.

I just saw a sling I think I may checkout, it attaches to the hooks on the camera our normal neck strap attaches to.  That way it will allow me to use my tripod while leaving the sling attached.

@jazzman1 wrote:

I just saw a sling I think I may checkout, it attaches to the hooks on the camera our normal neck strap attaches to.  That way it will allow me to use my tripod while leaving the sling attached.

Just don't forget and try to step away from the tripod.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Smiley WinkSmiley WinkSmiley Wink   Thanks for the tip Bob....you're right   (thumbs up)

IMG_2911.JPGIMG_3001.JPGIMG_3102.JPGIMG_3120.JPGIMG_3005.JPGIMG_2918.JPGIMG_2944.JPGJazz Fest 5-23-2015

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements