Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP on multi core CPU

cjjthomp
Contributor

Hi

This is my first post, so may be a bit ragged:

I'm using a Canon 60D with a Microscope objective and Stackshot rail to do focus stacking. I frequently end up with 100 or more CR2 files to be converted to JPEG and this takes about 25 minutes on my current system. If I mess something up and have to repeat, it gets a bit tedious.

Task manager tells me that DPP is using all four cores of my CPU at essentially 100% for this process, so that's my bottleneck and I'm considering buying a more powerful system to speed things up, namely an Intel I7 8700K based desktop. (Current system is a 4-core I5, 4 years old)

My question is: Will DPP use all 12 threads of the 8700K? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance,

jeff

17 REPLIES 17

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical with 16 MB of RAM and a GeForce GT 1030 video card.

I had a job I just did for Union Station in KC with 66 shots in it.  It took Lightroom 2 1/2 minutes to convert all CR2's to jpg for delivery.

At the same time I had email active and FB and Canon Forum.  Just sayin'!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

That's the kind of speed up I'm trying for - a bit more than 5 times as fast as my current system. Now I have a good solid excuse for buying a new toy.

Thanks for all the inputt,

jeff

Calgary, Canada

It would be hard for a pro in business to have that slow of a routine or machine and/or software whichever it is.  I would have several thousand on a busy weekend.

EB

Rats. Just re-read your post. You used Lightroom. Lightroom converts raw to JPEG about 7 times faster than DPP on my system but for all my efforts, I've not been able to get Lightroom's output to look as good as DPP's. The difference is most obvious when using the MP-E 65mm macro lens at high magnification. DPP's Digital Lens Optimization makes a significant improvement.

Jeff

Calgary, Canada

" I've not been able to get Lightroom's output to look as good as DPP's"

I would suggest you learn how to use LR better.  All pro shops use LR for a reason.  Make sure your ACR is up to date, too.

EB

I suspect you're right - I'm missing something in Lightroom. I use Lightroom for everything except the raw conversions for these deep focus stacks.

I probably should mention that I'm a hobbyist, not a pro.

Jeff

Calgary, Canada

Just checked, LR has the MP-E 65mm f2.8 lens correction.  That should not be the problem.

EB

cheuh
Apprentice

I just ran a test on 3 CPUs with the same CR2 file with  the same setting:

AMD Althlon 1095T 8G RAM with GTX570 - 32.21 seconds

Intel I5 3570K 16G RAM with integrate graphic - 22.54 seconds

ASUS G75VX gaming laptop with Intel I7 3630QM, 12G or RAM - 20 seconds

I always thought that the i5 running at 3.4 Ghz is always faster than the i7 3630QM at 2.4 GHz.  Seems DPP is really using the hyperthreading.  This is done using DPP 4.7.21.

Maybe time to ugrade to a Ryzen 7 X2800 when it comes!  Unfortunately, I am not a big fan of Windows 10 so it unlikely going to happen...

The Nividia graphics cards (CUBA and no AMD graphic cards) only accelerates preview and the actual conversion is done by the CPU.  It is in the documentation somehwere I read.

Announcements