cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.7.20 installs, runs once, won't run again

cjjthomp
Contributor

I upgraded from DPP 4.3 to DPP 4.7.20 yesterday, opened it today and converted about 100 raws to JPEG then closed it.

Now when I try to open it, all I get is a black panel with the title "Digital Photo Professional ver.4".

I've tried re-installing, no luck.

I uninstalled all the Canon utilities and installed only DPP - still no luck.

I'm running Windows 10 64-bit.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Thanks,

Jeff

Calgary, Canada

13 REPLIES 13

@cjjthomp wrote:

I upgraded from DPP 4.3 to DPP 4.7.20 yesterday, opened it today and converted about 100 raws to JPEG then closed it.

Now when I try to open it, all I get is a black panel with the title "Digital Photo Professional ver.4".

I've tried re-installing, no luck.

I uninstalled all the Canon utilities and installed only DPP - still no luck.

I'm running Windows 10 64-bit.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Thanks,

Jeff

Calgary, Canada

I don't know whether it's still true, but at one time DPP4 required the latest version of EOS Utility to be installed.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I uninstalled everything, cleaned out the userapps and did a fresh download and a complete re-install, including EOS utility, etc. but there's no change. The Id panel comes up and just sits there. EOS Utility and Picture Style Editor seem to work OK.

Jeff

Calgary, Canada

It sounds as though you may have a corrupted entry in the register which isn't getting deleted by the uninstall.

Downlad & install Revo Uninstaller from here:

[link removed per forum guidelines]

The free version will do the job. Then uninstall all the Canon programs using Revo in advanced mode, this will remove all associated files and registry settings.

Restart your PC.

Then you can do a fresh install without there being any remnant of the existing one.

I downloaded and installed the free versoin of Revo Uninstaller, uninstalled all the Canon software, restarted the system and re-installed all the Canon software.

No improvement. DPP v.4 still hangs on thhe ID panel.

I ran the Revo Uninstall scan process at "moderate" level (forgot your instructions, mind like a seive). It found lots of left-over registry stuff which I deleted so I don't know if the "advanced" setting will buy me much, but I'll run it anyway since I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Jeff

Calgary, Canada

I Uninstalled all the Canon software again using Revo Uninstall, this time with the "Advanced" setting for the Scan process. It actually did find more stuff to delete this time.

I restarted the system, re-installed DPP v.4 but still it hangs on the ID panel.

I suspect something in Windows has become corrupted but I have no idea how to proceed.

@cjjthomp wrote:

I Uninstalled all the Canon software again using Revo Uninstall, this time with the "Advanced" setting for the Scan process. It actually did find more stuff to delete this time.

I restarted the system, re-installed DPP v.4 but still it hangs on the ID panel.

I suspect something in Windows has become corrupted but I have no idea how to proceed.

It sounds to me like your Windows could be corrupt, or your hardware is not fully compatible.  Just having a system that runs 64-Bit Windows 10 does not mean your system is fully compatible.  There are hardware requirements, too.  Some hardware combinations work better than others.  Having a full Intel Chipset seems to work best.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Well you may have  Windows problems as Wadizzle suggested but I can't imagine it would be any sort of incompatibilty seeing as it did work once.

I presume you have downloaded another copy of DPP just in case your setup files are corrupted.

Another thing to try is this:

1. type %localappdata% into the search box at the start menu, followed by the Enter key.  This will open file explorer at the local folder, C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local.

2. Open the sub folder "CANON_INC".

3. Open the sub folder that starts with "Dpp4Main.......".

4. Open the sub folder relevant to the version of the software installed, e.g 4.7.20.0. (You can delete any other sub folders that are related to earlier versions that you aren't using i.e lower numbers, if you want to but it isn't important)

5. Delete the file "user.config"

6. Restart DPP 4, it will make a new user config file and hopefully it may all work.

@Ray-uk wrote:

Well you may have  Windows problems as Wadizzle suggested but I can't imagine it would be any sort of incompatibilty seeing as it did work once.

I presume you have downloaded another copy of DPP just in case your setup files are corrupted.

Another thing to try is this:

1. type %localappdata% into the search box at the start menu, followed by the Enter key.  This will open file explorer at the local folder, C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local.

2. Open the sub folder "CANON_INC".

3. Open the sub folder that starts with "Dpp4Main.......".

4. Open the sub folder relevant to the version of the software installed, e.g 4.7.20.0. (You can delete any other sub folders that are related to earlier versions that you aren't using i.e lower numbers, if you want to but it isn't important)

5. Delete the file "user.config"

6. Restart DPP 4, it will make a new user config file and hopefully it may all work.

You're probably correct, about if it ran before, then it should run again.  But, they seem to have rewrote some of the most basic code, which causes DPP to run poorly on some machines.  I suspect they optimized it for specific hardware, and in the process caused collateral issues.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

This worked for me. Thank you very much!!!  This fixed the problem of failure to start.

Announcements