cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 70D Custom mode not remembering HDR setting

joelnisson
Apprentice

Whenever I "register" my custom mode with HDR set to "enable", the HDR setting does not stick. If I change to "P" and back to "C", the HDR setting is lost.  Can anyone help with this?  Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

Danny

Hi, joelnisson!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon camera model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, search our knowledge base or contact our US-based technical support team at http://canon.us/SupportCF

Thanks and have a great day!

It is a Canon EOS 70D.

Here is what I did:

1. Set mode to "C".

2. Menu>Tool4>Custom shooting mode (C mode)>Set>Register Settings>Set

3. Auto update set Enable

4. Menu>Camera4>HDR Mode>Auto

With these settings and the camera still in C mode, it takes 3 sequential shots to create an HDR image.

5. Swith to "P" mode.

HDR is disabled. Camera takes a single shot.

6. Swith back to "C" mode, expecting the HDR setting to still be enabled, but it has reverted to disabled.

7. While still in "C" mode, set HDR to "enable>auto". Auto update set is enabled.

Camera will enable HDR, but it is not retained. If I switch to P mode, then back to C, HDR reverts to deefauilt "disabled".

I have updated the firmware to the latest version today.

Any help/advice will be apprecitated.

Thanks.

--Joel Nisson

I know that you have "Auto Update" eanbled, but SAVE the settings with HDR enabled.  There is more to shooting multiple and HDR exposures than merely enabling the shooting mode.  There are settings that enable that camera to shoot a multiple exposure for just one set of shots, or to stay in that mode continuously until you disable it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I don't see any "save" function. Just a way to set HDR on, then return to Menu.

@joelnisson wrote:
I don't see any "save" function. Just a way to set HDR on, then return to Menu.

You are misunderstanding me.  You “save” your settings to custom shooting mode.

But, when you enable HDR shooting, you should see an option to set “Continuous HDR”.  In other words, if you use it, then it will automatically disable itself after one series of shots, or remain in HDR mode continuously.  If you do not set it, then it will forget it.

Yes, I did set it to Continuous HDR, but it still forgets. Do you have a 70D that works properly?

@joelnisson wrote:
Yes, I did set it to Continuous HDR, but it still forgets. Do you have a 70D that works properly?

I do not use a 70D.  I am not certain if the HDR “Enable/Disalbe” is saved as a registered setting.  The HDR options may be saved, but not the actual enable/disalbe setting.  All of this is written in the Instruction Manual.  

There seem to be a handful of unexpected surprises associated with Custom Modes.  Number one on my list of surprises is that any settings changes that you make in a custom mode will get discarded when the metering system goes to sleep.  

Supposedly, enabling “Auto Update” fixes that problem.  But, doing that defeats the purpose of having a custom mode, IMHO. BTW, do not expect Canon to release a firmware update to correct anything in a 70D.

dnkmay54
Apprentice

I too have this problem with the EOS R camera. Firmware is 1.8. I set HDR for every photo and auto update also.

When I go to register it C1--C3 line is not highlighted what gives?

@dnkmay54 wrote:

I too have this problem with the EOS R camera. Firmware is 1.8. I set HDR for every photo and auto update also.

When I go to register it C1--C3 line is not highlighted what gives?

It is not a bug.  The multiple exposure modes of shooting are not saved when you register the camera settings.  There is no work around.  Adjust your work flow accordingly.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements