cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Shooting Mode - Auto Update & Setting Changes

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I had noticed my exposure settings would keep changing when I used a custom shooting mode.

I have only just recently begun using Custom Shooting modes this year.  I will use them as a shortcut to change several settings at once.  For example, I use C1 to store BBF mode, One Shot AF Mode, Silent Single Shot, and Center AF Point.  I use C2 to store No BBF mode, AI Servo AF Mode, Continuous Shooting Mode, and all AF points enabled, but with AF Assist starting from the center point.  I also set a couple of other changes, but that is the idea. 

Switching to a custom shooting mode gives me an instant starting point, and the only adjustment that I might typically make is to Shutter Speed or Aperture.  And, this is where the “problem” begins.  My initial SS is 1/1600.  Depending upon light conditions, I may move that up or down.  Sometimes, though, the SS and Aperture would change without my changing it.

Naturally, I assumed that my fingers were wandering around, and bumping buttons.  But, after a couple of outings where I paid special attention to that mistake, I was able to rule that out.  To make a long story short, I discovered that I did not understand how “Auto Update Settings” worked.

I had thought that when I selected a custom mode, my settings would change.  With “Auto Update” enabled, any changes that I made would get stored in that custom setting.  This meant that over the course of time, I might completely “lose” my initial settings, because I would make adjustments.  So, I disabled “Auto Update”, so that I could always revert back to a known state.

What I discovered is that “Auto Update” is more subtle than that.  What I found is that “Auto Update” is affected by the metering system.  I can select C2, and make exposure changes as I focus on a bird.  I get dialed in, and wait for the bird to do something besides sit quietly in place.  

I make a habit of keeping the metering system awake, so that I do not have to wait for it to “wake up” when I suddenly want to take a shot.  For example, a heron may suddenly dart its’ head to snag a fish.  What I noticed is that sometimes my exposure would be changed, when all I did was sit here.

PROBLEM:  The “problem” is that if you made changes to your camera settings, as soon as the metering system would shut down.  Those changes would get cleared out when the camera woke back up.  My assumption had been that changes would stay changed until I turned the mode dial, but that is not the case.  

When you have “Auto Update” disabled, any settings you might make will get cleared out when the metering system shuts down.  Now that I understand how and why my settings would change, I can work around it.  

I hope this helps someone.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
11 REPLIES 11

The last part of your post has me confused. I thought you said that you had turned off the automatic partial shutdown that normally occurs between shots, and then in the next paragraph it appeared that you hadn't. I had previously been under the impression that turning off the partial shutdown, while hard on the battery, would prevent reversion to the stored custom settings. Was I wrong about that?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have my 7D2 set for different types of aircraft on the C modes but got burned just like you did. Every time it went to sleep my corrected (for the days existing light) EC went bye bye. Gave up on it & went back to the way I've done it for years.   

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

I have my 7D2 set for different types of aircraft on the C modes but got burned just like you did. Every time it went to sleep my corrected (for the days existing light) EC went bye bye. Gave up on it & went back to the way I've done it for years.   

Exactly.  I am undecided as to whether or not I want to leave “Auto Update” enabled or disabled.  I normally shoot in Manual with Auto ISO.  I might take a look at using Av and Tv again.

@RobertTheFat wrote:

The last part of your post has me confused. I thought you said that you had turned off the automatic partial shutdown that normally occurs between shots, and then in the next paragraph it appeared that you hadn't. I had previously been under the impression that turning off the partial shutdown, while hard on the battery, would prevent reversion to the stored custom settings. Was I wrong about that?

Automatic partial shutdown?  Now I am confused, because I did not use that phrase.  I am only talking about “Auto Update” of the settings that you have “registered” to a custom shooting mode.  I have not mentioned or changed the metering mode timer delay setting, at all.

When you have “Auto Update” disabled, then any changes you made to a Custom mode will get wiped out as soon as the metering system goes to sleep.  This can have advantages, and disadvantages.  

I just wish my settings would stay as they were, until I changed the mode dial.  When I return to that custom mode, then I want the settings reset back to that known state.  Discovering that they reset when the metering system goes to sleep was a surprise.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Automatic partial shutdown?  Now I am confused, because I did not use that phrase.  I am only talking about “Auto Update” of the settings that you have “registered” to a custom shooting mode.  I have not mentioned or changed the metering mode timer delay setting, at all.

When you have “Auto Update” disabled, then any changes you made to a Custom mode will get wiped out as soon as the metering system goes to sleep.  This can have advantages, and disadvantages.  

I just wish my settings would stay as they were, until I changed the mode dial.  When I return to that custom mode, then I want the settings reset back to that known state.  Discovering that they reset when the metering system goes to sleep was a surprise.

I think I'm talking about what Cicopo called going to sleep. I don't know what the book calls it, and I don't have time to look it up just now. You can tell the camera that it's OK to partially shut down or go to sleep after not being used for some number of seconds. Coming back from that is what I thought caused the custom settings to revert.

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I think I'm talking about what Cicopo called going to sleep. I don't know what the book calls it, and I don't have time to look it up just no. You can tell the camera that it's OK to partially shutdown or go to sleep after not being used for some number of seconds. Coming back from that is what I thought caused the custom settings to revert.

Okay.  Yes, when the metering shuts down, the camera goes idle.  That is what clears out the settings.  If anyone likes that behavior, i would like know why.

I wish there was another menu choice besides Enable and Disable, where the settings do not clear until you actually change the shooting mode.  The biggest advantage of custom shooting modes is being able to quickly change a number of settings at once.  Other shooting modes maintain their settings, but not the custom shooting modes.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I think I'm talking about what Cicopo called going to sleep. I don't know what the book calls it, and I don't have time to look it up just no. You can tell the camera that it's OK to partially shutdown or go to sleep after not being used for some number of seconds. Coming back from that is what I thought caused the custom settings to revert.

Okay.  Yes, when the metering shuts down, the camera goes idle.  That is what clears out the settings.  If anyone likes that behavior, i would like know why.

I wish there was another menu choice besides Enable and Disable, where the settings do not clear until you actually change the shooting mode.  The biggest advantage of custom shooting modes is being able to quickly change a number of settings at once.  Other shooting modes maintain their settings, but not the custom shooting modes.

I agree. I'd prefer to see the reversion occur only if you change modes or manually shut the camera down.

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I agree. I'd prefer to see the reversion occur only if you change modes or manually shut the camera down.

I hope Canon is listening to this.  Custom modes are not as useful if they reset every time the metering goes idle.

I'd prefer it to require turning the camera off vs turning the mode dial. I have mine set for 3 sets of shutter speeds, one for model aircraft, one for model jets (no prop blur needed) & one for model helicopters, which require slower shutter speeds than fixed wing models. In general I'll change EC throught out the day & at a mixed event I'll shoot all three & need any minor adjustments available whether it goes to sleep while I'm using another body / lens combo, or changing which C mode I need.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements