Did you mean: 

Computer does not detect my camera Cannon7d or 50 D

Zelna
Apprentice

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First it is not the camera's fault.  There are no drivers needed for Windoze to recognize Canon cameras. At least not any from Canon.  You need to check out your computer.  For instance the USB port or cable.

If you set the communication mode to PTP, the SOLUTION DISK software cannot communicate with the camera. When you are using the software, always set the communication mode to Normal.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Do the 7D and 50D have a communication setting? I thought it was an old Rebel thing.

Never owned a 50D so I don't know for sure but I guess it does.  PTP is a WIndoze XP and Mac thing.  Which Mac's it works on or doesn't I don't know either.  I use Win 10.

Like always a card reader always works ! Smiley Happy

EB

Hey guys! 

I was reading this thread and wanted to clarify something real quick - the "PTP" and "Normal" setting on a handful of older models was eliminated, and all new models have no way to set this, and use PTP only. This allows for the computer to control the camera and download images and behave like it should.

If you have one of the "classic" digital cameras that take advantage of the "Normal" or "PTP" settings, and you're not using Windows XP (why would you be doing that), you'll want to set the camera to "PTP" and just leave it there, otherwise your computer will never see the camera. Ever. No chance, no how. "Normal" is a communications method that newer operating systems just can't understand. If you're using updated versions of the EOS Utility (which you should be), if your camera has a "Communications Mode" option (it most likely doesn't), then "PTP" is where you want to be.

TL;DR: Your camera probably doesn't have a "Communications Mode," but if it does, change it to "PTP," unless you're using Windows XP.

Zelna
Apprentice
How do I set the communication

"How do I set the communication"

If you don't know how, it probably means you didn't change it.  The default is 'Normal'.  The best guess is, something wrong with your computer or cables.  The drivers necessary for this which are included in Windows come from MS, not Canon.

Do you happen to have another computer to try it on, or perhaps another camera to try on your computer.  This will tell you which is at fault.

EB

Zelna
Apprentice
Both cameras same problem

That suggests it is your computer.  You are not alone.  We see this problem quite often on the forum.

Without being there I can only guess.  Does your computer recognize the CF cards from the cameras?  If it does, you have a couple options.  Use it that way or get a card reader and use it that way.  Card readers always work and they are cheap.

Another option is to call Canon support.

EB
Announcements