cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Circular Setting Top Lost [A,P,Av,Tv,B, etc]

dudadgp
Apprentice

I was walking yesterday with my camera strap around my neck .... picked up my 7DMarkII to take a photo ..... noticed the

top ID of the circular settings for A, P, Av, Tv, B, etc. had obviously come off and was gone. Wondering if anybody had ever had that problem and was able to replace just that piece .... or the entire camera.

3 REPLIES 3

@dudadgp wrote:

I was walking yesterday with my camera strap around my neck .... picked up my 7DMarkII to take a photo ..... noticed the

top ID of the circular settings for A, P, Av, Tv, B, etc. had obviously come off and was gone. Wondering if anybody had ever had that problem and was able to replace just that piece .... or the entire camera.

There have been several complaints in this forum about that flaw in the past year or so. The 6D has seemed to be the principal, but not the only, offender, IIRC. For that to happen on a high-end camera like the 7D2, especially since some of the complaints predated the introduction of the 7D2, is inexcusable. All it would have taken to prevent it is a couple of drops of cyanoacrylate glue, properly applied.

Some have complained about the high cost of the replacement part; others reported that they got the fix done for free. If your camera is still under warranty, you should be OK (except for the unnecessary inconvenience, of course).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ScottyP
Authority

That happened to my 6d. Luckily I found it and glued it back on. I used a couple drops of "Goop" glue, which is a little flexible so when the parts change temperature in the cold and hot it won't fall off again.

i googled for the part and found them online for 5d3 and 6d. Pretty cheap really. They don't necessarily have them for all models though.

But your 7d must still be in warranty, so I'd have Canon do it.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I've read numerous complaints of that happening with the 6D (enough to be confident that Canon has done something to change the method used to adhere the disk to the dial).  But until this issue started happening to numerous 6D models, I had never heard of it happening on any other Canon camera. 

You are the first time I've heard of this happening to a 7D II owner (actually, you are the first time I've heard of this happening to anyone other than a 6D owner.)

I'm getting worried that Canon has changed their process to adhere that disk -- and they probably need to figure out what they're doing wrong or just change back to the old method.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements