cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Mode Dial???

RooDog
Contributor

I have a Canon 70D, is there a way to change Modes (AV, TV, M, Bulb, etc) using the touch screen or other dial? Or do you have to use the top dial?

I can’t use my hands, I use a computer stylus strapped to my hand to change settings, but the 1 thing I can’t do is change that Mode Dial. I can’t push the center button down and turn the dial.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

RooDog -

You need one of the later model cameras that has a touchscreen and Quick Button.

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON. They may have a program/policy that could help you out with a trade-in program.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

That still won't let you change the mode dial. AFAIK, there is no way to do this programmatically.

@RooDog wrote:

I have a Canon 70D, is there a way to change Modes (AV, TV, M, Bulb, etc) using the touch screen or other dial? Or do you have to use the top dial?

I can’t use my hands, I use a computer stylus strapped to my hand to change settings, but the 1 thing I can’t do is change that Mode Dial. I can’t push the center button down and turn the dial.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

I think you have to go to the 1D series to find a Canon DSLR without a mode dial. But depending on which model you buy and how new it is, that could be a very expensive workaround. Also, 1D's are pretty heavy, which, given your disability, is probably not a good thing.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks, I figured but thought I'd ask. 

Maybe I can get a camera repair guy to figure out how to make the center button stick down.

Greg

@RooDog wrote:

Thanks, I figured but thought I'd ask. 

Maybe I can get a camera repair guy to figure out how to make the center button stick down.

Greg

The center button is a fairly recent addition, provided to quell complaints that it was too easy to turn the dial accidentally. The 7D, for example, didn't have it (although the 7D Mk II does). So one straightforward solution to your problem could be to find a refurbished 7D.

But if you were to decide to go that route, be warned that Canon did make the center button an aftermarket add-on to the 7D. So if you buy a refurb 7D, check to make sure it hasn't undergone that modification.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements