cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards for 4K video-5DIV

Cunha
Rising Star

Hi,

I will soon start to shoot 4K video (5DIV).

I know from the camera´s manual the minimum specifications for CF and SD cards to record 4K.

(UDMA 7/100MB/s or UHS-1/Class 3)

Any opinions about CF/SD brands and models with good results from this community? Brands to avoid?

In the past 7 years I´ve been using Sandisk, Lexar and Toshiba, but with moderate speeds. Not fast enough for 4K demands.

Some of my cards are 7 years old. Never had a problem.

Never try 4K video .-) My 5DIV is brand new (1 month).

Thank you very much for your help.

14 REPLIES 14

@Cunha wrote:

Hi,

I will soon start to shoot 4K video (5DIV).

I know from the camera´s manual the minimum specifications for CF and SD cards to record 4K.

(UDMA 7/100MB/s or UHS-1/Class 3)

Any opinions about CF/SD brands and models with good results from this community? Brands to avoid?

In the past 7 years I´ve been using Sandisk, Lexar and Toshiba, but with moderate speeds. Not fast enough for 4K demands.

Some of my cards are 7 years old. Never had a problem.

Never try 4K video .-) My 5DIV is brand new (1 month).

Thank you very much for your help.

Please, Canon, we REALLY NEED a video-specific board in this forum. People keep raising questions like this, and most of us have NO CLUE, because we don't shoot video. If you're going to make video a feature of your DSLRs (and that genie is obviously out of the bottle), you should be willing to moderate a video-specific conversation. Several of us have made this point for a year or so, but we have been effectively ignored!

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

PLee
Enthusiast

I would recommend a UDMA 7 Compact Flash card that supports the VPG-65 specification, or an SD card that supports the V90 specification. UDMA 7 CF cards without the VPG-65 specification, or SD cards without the V90 specification may work but there isn't any guarantee so it would be a matter of trying it out.

Note that manufacturers will typically market the fastest burst write speeds for any particular card. This does not matter for video. You need to look for cards that can sustain a sufficiently high continuous write speed and that's what the VPG-65 and V90 specifications are designed to do for CF and SD cards respectively.

Thanks a lot my friend; I´ll do my search based on your words ,-)

Since SD cards with the new V90 specification were so new, I just looked around for some available options and it does seem like SD cards with the V90 specification are all UHS-II. The 5D Mark IV SD slot is UHS-I. UHS-II cards would work, but would not support all of the rated speed specifications. It isn't clear to me whether or not the V90 specifcation requires a UHS-II slot.

In my opinion it is safer to go for the CF card, but I will note that I have some UHS-I cards that I have used on the 5D Mark IV at 4K 30p. I hope that wasn't too confusing!

The user manual says that we should not use UHS-II cards.

@Cunha wrote:
The user manual says that we should not use UHS-II cards.

Try asking the people at the place where you bought the camera.  Your question should have been asked before you bought the camera.  

“What memory card should I use with the camera?”.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sandisk Extreme Pro CF/64GB (capacity example)
Read: 160 Mb
Write: 150 Mb
VPG-65
UDM7

🙂
Seems like a good option.
Thanks again for your help.

@Cunha wrote:
Sandisk Extreme Pro CF/64GB (capacity example)
Read: 160 Mb
Write: 150 Mb
VPG-65
UDM7

🙂
Seems like a good option.
Thanks again for your help.

Is that what the people who sold you the camera recommended?  A 64GB card is pretty good for shooting stills.  However, if you are looking to shoot 4K video, then you want at least 128GB, which will give you just over 30 minutes of recording time.

All of this, and more that you need to know, is covered in more detail in the Instruction Manual. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I wrote "capacity example".
Thanks for the tip; anyway.
Announcements