cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 7Dii.: burst mode problems with sluggish rapid fire....red warning backup light comes

iris
Enthusiast

I have just switched to using back-button focus..But have had issues with the burst mode before I switched, too......My menu settings are for AF  Case 1..with AIServo and High burst...

I use a SanDisk CF card 160MBs and  movies at 65..UDMA7......

I know there are some settings that can slow burst...but my problems seem to  be  buffering issues.....Why does that red light come on after only shooting 12-16 rapid fire shots...Perhaps I don't understand burst/ or overestimate what it can do? ....i thought this camera could take up to 16 shots in rapid sequence...? How long should one have to wait for the buffering to catch up? 

I do shoot RAW...I know that increases file size an may cut the number of shots...but still...why so sluggish?

7 REPLIES 7

Ray-uk
Whiz

The purpose of the red indicator light is to indicate that data is being written to the card, it is only a warning to stop you from removing the card or turning the camera off before all data is written ........ It does not indicate that the camera is having buffering issues.

Burst mode continues to work even with the light on, getting the data from the sensor and saving it to the card is a continuous process it doesn't wait until the buffer is full before saving it.

If your card  really is a 160MBs card and not a slower one that has been re-labelled then I would suggest that you need to look at the way your camera is set up to find the cause for any sluggishness.

Ray

Well, I purchase my cards from B & H...so I don't know how to determine if they might not be for real?  It looks like other SanDisk cards I  have purchased....

I have specific issues with the rhythm of the rapid fire....I'll get maybe 6-10 rapid then pause, pause, shutter shutter, pause, shutter shutter shutter, longer pause, longer pause...the rhythim is screwed....

If I have my finger down on the shutter release, my understanding was it should shoot until I lift my finger....?  Back button focus should also continue to focus those shots?

Is there a help page for people with this specific issue that might discuss which setting would interfere with burst? I know that I've read that having "noise reduction" on in-camera could slow burst.  What else?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try a faster CF card.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

What's faster than CF SanDisk Extreme pro 160mb? And define please, OTHER Canon STUFF?

I see now that you did mention "CF".  Smiley Embarassed  I originally thought you were using the SD card.

The fastest CF card I know of is Lexar 32GB Professional 1066x.

The 7DII has a modest size buffer.  Shooting RAW images at 10fps can fill the buffer in as few as two seconds. The buffer should be larger.  The only other way is to enable the camera to write images from the buffer to the memory card faster.

The 7D II takes advantage of  CF cards with UDMA 7.  Using a fast CF card allows the buffer to empty quickly and shoot at a higher frame rate longer.

"And define please, OTHER Canon STUFF?"

That refers to my gear.  Smiley Happy I have and use gear from several other manufacturers.  Mostly that are not talked about here.

My equipment of choice is of course Canon.  Not that others aren't good or even as good, Canon just offers the best overall "stuff". Not to mention service.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Peter
Authority
Authority
The write speed of 7D II: around 103 + 75 MB/s (CF+SD)

diverhank
Authority

@iris wrote:

I have just switched to using back-button focus..But have had issues with the burst mode before I switched, too......My menu settings are for AF  Case 1..with AIServo and High burst...

I use a SanDisk CF card 160MBs and  movies at 65..UDMA7......

I know there are some settings that can slow burst...but my problems seem to  be  buffering issues.....Why does that red light come on after only shooting 12-16 rapid fire shots...Perhaps I don't understand burst/ or overestimate what it can do? ....i thought this camera could take up to 16 shots in rapid sequence...? How long should one have to wait for the buffering to catch up? 

I do shoot RAW...I know that increases file size an may cut the number of shots...but still...why so sluggish?

What you're observing is typical of what the 7D2 can do...If you want faster and more buffer,  you have to get the 1DX series :)...which costs 4 times as much...

I usually do a burst of five, let go and repeat and it seems to work very well for most situation.  Here is an excerpt of the manual and it lists the factors that will slow it down:

Capture.JPG

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements