cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 6D Member Reviews

TexasTea
Contributor

Good morning all,

I wanted to start a thread for member reviews of the new Canon EOS 6D, as they begin to come to market.  I'm not sure if I've made the first shipment from my local retailer, so in the meantime I would like to see what posters think about their 6D.  Pros, cons and candid reviews vs. other Canon products are appreciated!

38 REPLIES 38

glongstaff
Contributor

I agree, most DSLRs allow for sports photography. This is what I achieved with an old Canon 350D (3.5fps) hooked up to a Sigma 150-500mm lens

British Superbikes at Oulton Park

BSDGuru , there is a saying...'if you can't say anything truly worthwhile, then just don't say anything at all'  

Whilst prices are dropping, we feel as though we dont get the same pricing/deals arrangements as other countries....

If you want the UK Warranty to be present your looking at a 6d without a lens being $2745.84  (£1700) or a 5D MKIII without a lens at $3745.65 (£2319) or above if you go to the official online/counter shops.....

I was looking towards its limits (obviously)...things like the AF focusing , especially in 'Darker' situations compared to the MKIII

EOS 5D MKIII + EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Sigma DG 150-500 5-6.3 APO HSM, , EF 55-200mm 4.5-5.6 USM, Speedlite 430EXII

EOS 350D, EFS 18-55mm

glongstaff:

There is a excellent review here is you have not seen it: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-6D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

"Made to focus in very low light condition: EV-3 is the strongest low light AF performance of any Canon AF system at Canon EOS 6D review time. EV-3 is the equivalent of moonlight. 

I can focus the 6D's center point on a subject with reasonable contrast down until autoexposure gives me a setting of 160 at 10 seconds and f/2.8 (really dark) with the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens mounted (note that the 6D's metering range spec is listed at EV 1-20). The Canon EOS 1D X's center point could not focus on the same subject with the same lens mounted. Note that the 6D focuses very slowly under these dismal lighting conditions - but locking slowly is far better than failing to lock.

canonuser78
Enthusiast

Hello , I have a question for all of you guys 6D owners.

Is there any possibility to use manual focus function while recording movies?

I appreciate it,

Why not? Just use MF mode and rely on your vision for focus. I did not check if there is a continuous  in camera focus confirmation via life view, better not, it would distract from the scene.

I am so interested to find 🙂

I've heard that at least autofocus during movie shots, is not recommended because it may change the exposure and I was wondering if manual focus also can change the exposure. 

I would do videos in M mode only. But as far I know, the 6D is more a still camera. Would it not be better to buy a second hand 5D II for video? 

I am still analyze that.Could you be so kind and tell me the advantages of the 5D Mk2 vs. 6D regarding the video specs ?

Both have the same specification on video side as far as I've read, more than that I think 6D have a better maximum allowed recording time (hope i'm not wrong).

Thank you,

Sorry, I pass on that. I have no idea about video tech specs. My old 5D2 made amazing videos on a 27' screen. But I am not into video to judge the relevant details.. There is said to be some issues with video with the 6D (moire) and comparisons are just about to start on the www. And there is no microphone jack for external sound recordings on the 6D.(?)

6D have a mic jack 3.5mm but doesen't have headphone out .

This issue perhaps will be solved somehow , there are some tips but not confirmed on 6D yet :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnEtj5l3acs&list=PLF6B572B90FCDD6B0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ccgAghUROg&list=PLF6B572B90FCDD6B0

Announcements