cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 5D Mark iv

frabby100
Contributor
Hello!

I just purchased a Canon EOS 5D Mark IV camera and have a question about the compact flash that I am able to use. I have a SanDisk Ultra compact flash 30mb/s* 8 GB. Can I use this in my camera?

Also, do I need both a compact flash and an SD card whenever I use the camera?

Thank you

Maryanne
14 REPLIES 14

Sylhet81
Contributor
Thank Waddizzle....

I exactly mean that...it's a shame that everytime I want to see how much recording time left, I have to go to menu

Sylhet81
Contributor
Thanks Waddizzle....

I exactly mean that...it's a shame that everytime I want to see how much recording time left, I have to go to menu

Sylhet81
Contributor
Thanks Waddizzle....

iris
Enthusiast

I have been considering the purchase of the full frame Canon 5D Mark iv....I've read quite a few articles about its performance and advantages over my currect crop sensored Canon 7D Mark ii.....Several of the articles mention glitches in the new camera that are corrected with updates using Canon supplied firmware.....My question is....rather than me having to search to find all the firmware updates that I might need, is it possible to have Canon do that for me before shipping the camera.....or if the  Camera is purchased say from B &H or one of the other American firms that deal in cameras can they do that for me before sending the camera....???   Is there any downside to  having these firmware updates installed?  For instance, are they specific to some sort of specific  problem you may be having with the camera?   at any rate if someone could enlighten me as to the importance of the "firmware updates" and as to whether or not they can be installed before the camera is sent to me I'd appreciate the information...

What firmware comes in a camera depends upon when it was manufactured, packaged and shipped. I doubt anyone will install the firmware for you, but a firmware update is a fairly simple process and only needs to be done once, to the latest version.(And you might as well learn to do it, since there will likely be future updates that you'll want to install.)

Firmware updates area also easy to find on the Canon website. Just look for the product downloads link, enter the camera model and when that page opens, look for the "firmware" tab. The most current  firmware for the 5D Mark IV is here: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-5d-mark-iv?subtab....

Choose the latest version that's compatibile with your computer system and download it.

Also download and read the supporting document that you'll find there, with installation instructions and information about the driver.

To install the firmware, you'll need the USB cable to connect the camera to your computer and a freshly fomatted memory card in the camera.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Announcements