cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS-1D X vs. EOS-5D MK III - Which camera do you prefer ?

MichaelDanielHo
Enthusiast

Canon EOS-1D X

Canon EOS-5D MK III

Canon has two excellent full frame cameras occupying their higher end of the DSLR market. They are the EOS-1D X and the EOS-5D MK III. I have been using Canon equipment for about 25 years now and started with the EOS-1 series when it first came out in 1989 and the EOS-5 series when it first appeared on the market in 2005.

I am a Wildlife and Travel photographer and have used both cameras extensively out in the field. The two questions I get asked the most are, which is a better camera and which one do you prefer? My answers are always the same two questions, what type of photography are you shooting and how much do you want to spend? This analysis will not have photos, charts and graphs and assumes the reader is already familiar with Canon equipment. It will get straight to the point on my opinion of the two cameras from the viewpoint of a photographer out on photo shoots.

First, let us compare the major specs of the two cameras, EOS-1D X vs. EOS-5D MK III :

• Sensor Resolution :  18.1 MP  vs.  22.3 MP
  • ISO Sensitivity :  100 - 204800  vs. 100 - 102400
  • Processors :  Dual DIGIC 5+ and 1 DIGIC 4  vs.  One DIGIC 5+
  • Recording Media :  Two CF slots  vs.  One CF and One SD slot
  • Viewfinder :  0.76X  vs.  0.71X
  • Burst Rate :  14 fps  vs.  6 fps
  • Autofocus :  61-AF points  vs.  61-AF points
  • Cycle Count :  400,000  vs.  150,000
  • DxOMark Sensor Score :  Overall - 82  vs.  81
  • Low Light Performance :  2786 ISO  vs.  2293 ISO
  • Weight and Dimension :  6.2 x 6.4 x 3.3 @ 3.37 lbs  vs.  6.0 x 4.6 x 3.0 @ 2.1 lbs.
  • List price :  $6,799  vs.  $3,499

Both cameras are excellent performers out in the field. The 1D X is completely weather sealed and can stand up to most conditions. AF is lighting fast and high ISO performance are superb and as you can see from the specifications above, they are almost evenly matched in performance but the EOS-1D X edges out the EOS-5D MK III in Sensor Score, Low Light Performance, burst rate and cycle count, while the 5D MK III has an edge in pixel count. So, going back to the original questions posed to me :

Q : Which is a better camera ?

A : They are both great cameras in their own right. If you are primarily a Wildlife photographer, the obvious choice is the EOS-1D X. It comes through for me under extreme conditions with little fuss and stands up to harsh use but if you are into Portrait and Landscape photography, the higher megapixel count in the 5D MK III will allow a slightly more robust cropping and lends itself to very big photo prints.

Q : Which camera do you prefer ?

A : If I were strictly a Landscape or Portrait photographer, I will pick the EOS-5D MK III. A photographer shooting both Wildlife and Landscape/Travel will do better with the EOS-1D X.

Q : Which camera is the better value (price dependent) ?

A : Without a doubt, I have picked the EOS-5D MK III as the best value in full frame DSLR camera on the market today.

Q : Which is a better camera, overall ?

A : Without another doubt, the EOS-1D X excels in all categories but at a price some may not want to, or cannot afford. Good, used ones will appear on the market eventually.

Q : Which camera would you buy (price dependent) ?

A : The Canon EOS-1D X represents the pinnacle of Canon's camera technology. There is really no substitute to shoot with the latest 1D. The performance, feel and ruggedness of the camera exudes confidence. I have not bought the EOS-5D MK III because I still own the original 5D and I have the EOS-1Ds MK III as well. So, there is little room in my equipment bag for another full frame camera but the price of the 5D MK III is now down to $2,600 on eBay (limited quantity) and is tempting me by the day.

For full details on each camera's specifications, visit the Canon USA website. For a detailed analysis on the EOS-1D X, visit this page. You can visit MichaelDanielHo.com to see photos taken with all the cameras.

1 REPLY 1

SusanK
Contributor

I went through the same drill - came down to $3300 extra for 14 vs 6 fps.  I bought the 5DIII.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements