Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: Canon EOS 1000D problem buSY

[ Edited ]

I know, it's all clear to me for a guarantee.
But ...
I am interested in how the factory enters the new firmware on a bricked board. There must be a way, rather than throwing a plate off and putting another. I wonder if anyone knows in what way they flash new firmware? Is it possible that VxWorks is forced to enter new firmware via specially formatted SD card? Or the special pins on the board that work through the serial cable? MPU is working, and its EEPROM works. It is a controller for AF, batt and SD card door, display through a viewfinder, servo, flash, buttons, shutter, ... ect. For example, when I remove a flat cable from the shutter, it reports error 99 .... That's all. It is also the primary boot, and after its boot, it should continue DIGIC III with F-ROM to boot firmware. This is the end, he has nothing to boot, or the firmware is damaged and the buSY is released. DIGIC III is the basis for LCD, photo sensor, USB, ... and that's what does not work. Not to prolong the writing, does anyone know the way to write to F-ROM that is bricked with damaged firmware? It's probably a bug that just put the firmware in the lock position.

Occasional Contributor

But ...
I am interested in how the factory enters the new firmware on a bricked board. There must be a way, rather than throwing a plate off and putting another. I wonder if anyone knows in what way they flash new firmware? Is it possible that VxWorks is forced to enter new firmware via specially formatted SD card? Or the special pins on the board that work through the serial cable? MPU is working, and its EEPROM works. It is a controller for AF, batt and SD card door, display through a viewfinder, servo, flash, buttons, shutter, ... ect. For example, when I remove a flat cable from the shutter, it reports error 99 .... That's all. It is also the primary boot, and after its boot, it should continue DIGIC III with F-ROM to boot firmware. This is the end, he has nothing to boot, or the firmware is damaged and the buSY is released. DIGIC III is the basis for LCD, photo sensor, USB, ... and that's what does not work. Not to prolong the writing, does anyone know the way to write to F-ROM that is bricked with damaged firmware? It's probably a bug that just put the firmware in the lock position.

Esteemed Contributor

When a camera gets bricked like that, it's usually because the camera lost power during a firmware upgrade. Apparently there isn't enough firmware memory to install the new before removing the old, so it has to do it on the fly. If the camera loses power, the part of the firmware that boots up the camera may not be there. So there's every reason to suppose that Canon has to apply some rather heroic measures to get things working again, such as temporarily wiring in a working chip to resuscitate the one in the camera. It's not the sort of electronic surgery that you're likely to be able to do at home.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Occasional Contributor

(Previous) Version 1.0.6 improvements:

Firmware Version 1.0.6 includes the following improvement:

Some cameras may exhibit a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor does not display, the shutter does not release, and the busy indication remains lit in the viewfinder.

Some cameras with firmware Version 1.0.5 or earlier are affected by a phenomenon where the LCD monitor does not display, the shutter does not release, and the busy indication remains lit in the viewfinder. This firmware corrects this phenomenon.

This is by Canon, not by power lost during update....
Reputable Contributor

bokacbl wrote:

But ...
I am interested in how the factory enters the new firmware on a bricked board.

The mainboard is replaced. At least that is what is written after service.

---------------------------------------------------------
My Swedish blog

M5, 7D, 6D, D30, 1000D IR, 16-35/4L IS, 16-35/4LIS, 17-40/4L, 100/2,8 Macro, 70-200/2,8L IS II, 17-55/2.8 IS, 24-105/4L, 85/1,8, 50/1,4, 24/1,4L II, 24-80/3.5-5.6, Helios 58/2

Darktable, RawTherapee, Photomatix, Luminance HDR, GIMP 2.9.3.
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Did you have this problem and you sent it to service?
Reputable Contributor

bokacbl wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Did you have this problem and you sent it to service?

No. I updated my 1000D as soon as I found out the issue. Search for 1000D busy mainboard.

My Swedish blog

M5, 7D, 6D, D30, 1000D IR, 16-35/4L IS, 16-35/4LIS, 17-40/4L, 100/2,8 Macro, 70-200/2,8L IS II, 17-55/2.8 IS, 24-105/4L, 85/1,8, 50/1,4, 24/1,4L II, 24-80/3.5-5.6, Helios 58/2

Occasional Contributor

That's okay. Sorry, but I'm not interested in the answer that something is defective, or I buy a new one (I'm already, used). I wonder if anyone has an expert to tell me what the problem is, if someone made a firmware dump to see what the problem is. Of course I have $ 50 to buy a used motherboard for my EOS. But that's not the point of the questions. I wonder if anyone knows the method of repair, or at least to say what the problem is (braked ball under SoC, broken fuse, ...). Or just mess up F-ROM firmware chip
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

The firmware is updated by downloading it to a computer first. You either connect the camera to the computer via the USB cable, OR, by loading it onto a SD card and loading the card into the camera. If your Display Screen is dark, I assume you will want to use the Computer to Camera method. 

See http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/eosdigital5/firmware.html for an explanation on the steps.

This isn't a bad camera, but it is a little dated. You might want to start considering something more up to date and keep this as a back up (if you can get it to work). 

Good luck.

Reputable Contributor

bokacbl wrote:
That's okay. Sorry, but I'm not interested in the answer that something is defective, or I buy a new one (I'm already, used). I wonder if anyone has an expert to tell me what the problem is, if someone made a firmware dump to see what the problem is. Of course I have $ 50 to buy a used motherboard for my EOS. But that's not the point of the questions. I wonder if anyone knows the method of repair, or at least to say what the problem is (braked ball under SoC, broken fuse, ...). Or just mess up F-ROM firmware chip

If I were you, I would ask the guys at CHDK.

My Swedish blog